|Minnesota House of Representatives District 6A|
|2011 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||February 15, 2011|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Bemidji State University|
|Birthday||August 13, 1985|
A Hibbing native, Melin studied political science at Bemidji State University, graduating Magna Cum Laude. While at BSU, she served as president of the College Democrats. She went on to graduate from Hamline University School of Law and is now licensed to practice in the state of Minnesota. She currently works with the Minnesota State Judiciary on the Iron Range.
Melin's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt:"Investing in our infrastructure keeps us competitive nationally and globally, while putting Minnesotans in the construction trades back to work."
- Excerpt:"Our leading generation deserves the best in health care, good housing options, and access to services. It is their time to enjoy retirement, not to endure painful budget cuts to services they deserve."
- Excerpt:"I will continue my advocacy for fair funding for our schools and targeted aid for new technology. Minnesotans deserve a world-class education no matter what corner of the state their school is located."
Mining and Natural Resources
- Excerpt:"I support mining in Northeastern Minnesota. Our taconite mines are essential to our local and state economy, and are currently employing thousands of workers across the Iron Range."
Budget and Taxes
- Excerpt:"Property taxes are one of the most regressive forms of taxation, and I will continue to fight to keep them low.
Minnesotans deserve taxation that is fair and balanced."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Melin served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Early Childhood and Youth Development Policy|
|• Judiciary Finance and Policy, Vice-chair|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Melin served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance|
|• Judiciary Policy and Finance|
Melin won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 6A. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 7 and defeated Roger Weber (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 6A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Carly Melin Incumbent||70.9%||14,589|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
The Minnesota GOP has since challenged Melin's residency, claiming she is ineligible to run.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Carly + Melin + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Minnesota legislative notebook: Farmers await clarity on how tax bill affects them - Grand Forks Herald
- MN Lawmakers Tackle Legislation, Clock in Final Hours - Northland's NewsCenter
- With just over two days left of the regular legislative session, Minnesota ... - KARE
- Legislative notebook: Medical marijuana bill introduced ... for next year - Grand Forks Herald
- Scenes from a marriage debate - Politics in Minnesota
- Sunday liquor sales plan fails again in Minnesota - Grand Forks Herald
- Gay marriage: breaking down the (potential) House vote - MinnPost.com (blog)
- Same-sex marriage bill passes Minnesota House, goes to the Senate - Herald Review
- Final push for legislative session - Mesabi Daily News
- Decision day: House prepares for gay marriage vote - Politics in Minnesota
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ Northlands News Center, "Sertich New IRRRB Commissioner," January 11, 2011
- ↑ "carlymelin," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Minneapolis Star Tribune, "Range DFLer wins special election to fill state House seat," February 15, 2011
- ↑ Duluth News Tribune, "Republicans question Melin’s residency in District 5B," February 3, 2011
David Dill (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 6A
| Succeeded by|
Anthony Sertich (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 5B
| Succeeded by|
Tom Anzelc (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |
Data Practices Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |