For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Former candidate for|
|Utah State Senate District 28|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Utah State Senate District 28|
|May 17, 2011 - 2013|
|Bachelor's||Southern Utah University|
|Master's||Southern Utah University|
|Profession||Social Service Worker|
Anderson is a former Republican member of the Utah State Senate, representing District 28 from his appointment on May 17, 2011, to January 1, 2013. Anderson replaced Dennis Stowell, who died of a heart attack on April 17, 2011.
Anderson was elected in 2011 to serve as Iron County Republican Party chair.
Anderson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I am and will always be 100% pro-life. I believe Utah could do more to protect the rights of unborn children. Other States have taken the lead on this issue. I believe with common sense solutions and collaboration with all sides, we could come to a broad consensus on appropriate measures that could be taken to reduce the number of abortions that take place with bipartisan support."
Reducing the Cost of Health Care
- Excerpt: "Health care is too expensive. Most of it is out of our control because of Federal mandates, but there are significant steps that we could take to reduce the cost of health care. Reducing frivolous lawsuits would be a big first step and we can make it happen, here in Utah, resulting in more money in your pocket."
- Excerpt: "I believe marriage is a covenant between a Man, Woman, and our Creator. It is clear that other States and the Federal government do not agree. Our State needs to find a long term solution to this issue before the Federal government mandates what we ought to be doing. We will not protect our morals and values by taking a wait and see approach."
- Excerpt: "The Business Personal Property Tax or Tangible Personal Property Tax is just one area where we can simplify, reduce, and even eliminate burdensome taxes. Many other States have eliminated their TPP tax or dramatically reduced it. Utah can be doing more. In my first year, I will sponsor legislation to reduce this burden on our small businesses."
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Utah State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 20, 2014. Incumbent Evan Vickers defeated Casey Anderson in the Republican primary. Vickers was unopposed in the general election.
|Utah State Senate, District 28 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Evan J. Vickers Incumbent||67%||5,390|
|Casey O. Anderson||33%||2,656|
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2012
|Utah State Senate District 28 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Evan J. Vickers||63.7%||6,549|
|Casey O. Anderson Incumbent||36.3%||3,730|
After three rounds of voting, Anderson was selected for recommendation. He defeated five other candidates -- including Stowell's widow -- to have his name submitted to the Governor for appointment. He defeated Rep. Evan Vickers, Peter Greathouse, Keith Harrison, Allen Smith and Marilee Stowell (the predecessor's widow).
The Sutherland Institute Scorecard
The Sutherland Institute, "a conservative public policy think tank" in Utah, releases its Scorecard for Utah State Representatives and Senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Sutherland Institute thought were pro-conservative policies.
Casey Anderson received a score of 100% in the 2012 score card.
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Casey Anderson on Facebook
- Utah Lieutenant Governor, "2014 Candidate Filings," accessed March 21, 2014
- Desert News, "Iron County GOP chief to replace Stowell," May 15, 2011
- Ahora Utah, "Iron County GOP chief selected to replace late Senator Stowell," May 15, 211 (timed out)
- andersonforutah.com, "Issues," accessed May 23, 2014
- Utah Lieutenant Governor, "Utah Election Preliminary Results," accessed July 9, 2014
- Utah Lieutenant Governor, "2012 candidate filings," accessed July 23, 2014
- Utah.Gov, "2012 Primary Election Results," accessed July 24, 2012 (dead link)
- Desert News, "The tea party is here to stay in Utah's political races," May 22, 2011
- Sutherland Institute, "2012 Legislative Session," accessed March 29, 2014
- Sutherland Institute, "2012 Sutherland Institute Legislative Scorecard," accessed October 1, 2014
|Utah Senate District 28
| Succeeded by|
Evan Vickers (R)