Catherine A. Giessel
|Catherine A. Giessel|
|Alaska State Senate District N|
|January 24, 2011-Present|
|January 26, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$238 or $253/day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Michigan|
|Master's||University of Alaska-Anchorage|
Giessel served as a Committee Member/Chair/Vice Chair for the Alaska Republican Party from 1997 to 2008.
Giessel earned her B.S. in Nursing from the University of Michigan and her M.A. in Nursing Science from the University of Alaska, Anchorage. Her professional experience includes working as a nurse and owner of a healthcare consulting business.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Giessel served on the following committees:
|Alaska Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Community & Regional Affairs, Vice-chair|
|• Resources, Chair|
|• State Affairs, Vice-chair|
|• Administrative Regulation Review, Vice-chair|
|• Legislative Budget and Audit|
|• Legislative Ethics|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Giessel served on these committees:
|Alaska Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Labor & Commerce|
|• State Affairs|
Giessel's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Our energy resources, including traditional hydrocarbon sources (like oil, gas and coal) and innovative sources (like geothermal, wind, solar, and tidal) should be developed for the maximum benefit of Alaskans. I applaud the private entrepreneurs and Native Corporations who are investing in hydroelectric and coal gassification projects."
- Excerpt: "Currently our State addresses economic planning just one year at a time. That horizon is too short to adequately address long-term constitutional mandates such as education and healthcare obligations. For budgeting and resource development we need to extend our planning vision. The Legislature also needs to take a hard look at what services are within the State's role and what are best provided by the private sector."
- Resource Development
- Excerpt: "Alaska has not had unemployment rates as high as the 9.8% seen nationally... yet. But at 7.6% unemployment, Alaskans should be concerned. Resource development jobs are a critical part of our economy and job creation. North Dakota, which has very business-friendly policies, has unemployment about 3%."
- Excerpt: "I am a cosponsor of SB 106 "K-12 Scholarship Program," which would allow State funding for each child's education to be managed by that child and his parents. This would permit families to choose the education format that best meets that child's educational needs. The House version of the bill is HB 145."
- Excerpt: "Wise consumers use insurance to help offset risks that they could not afford to bear on their own. No one can afford to be insured for every possible risk in life, but we should be free to buy whatever type of insurance we determine that we need. Rules that force us to buy insurance plans that are bloated with government mandates are unfair and costly. In fact, requirements that we purchase health insurance are also unfair."
- See also: Alaska State Senate elections, 2012
Giessel won re-election in the 2012 election for Alaska State Senate District 14 (N). She defeated Joe Arness in the August 28, 2012 Republican primary and defeated Ron Devon (I) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Alaska State Senate, District 14 (N), General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Catherine Giessel Incumbent||59.1%||10,405|
|Alaska State Senate, District 14 (N) Republican Primary, 2012|
|Catherine Giessel Incumbent||67.9%||3,964|
- See also: Alaska State Senate elections, 2010
Giessel defeated Jennifer B. Johnston and Mark W. Moronell in the August 24 primary. She then defeated Democrat Janet L. Reiser and Independent Philip Dziubinski in the November 2 general election.
|Alaska State Senate, District P General Election (2010)|
|Catherine A. Giessel (P)||9,255|
|Janet L. Reiser (D)||7,042|
|Philip Dziubinski (I)||2,072|
|Alaska State Senate, District P Republican Primary (2010)|
|Catherine A. Giessel (R)||4,315|
|Mark W. Moronell (R)||2,147|
|Jennifer B. Johnston (R)||1,976|
Comprehensive donor information for Giessel is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Giessel raised a total of $245,662 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 1, 2013.
|Catherine A. Giessel's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Alaska State Senate, District N||$97,059|
|2010||Alaska State Senate, District P||$148,603|
|Grand Total Raised||$245,662|
2012Giessel won re-election to the Alaska State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Giessel raised a total of $97,059.
|Alaska State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Catherine A. Giessel's campaign in 2012|
|Giessel, Catherine A (Cathy)||$13,863|
|Anchorage Republican Womens Club||$5,000|
|Associated General Contractors of Alaska||$2,000|
|Penney, Robert C||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$97,059|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Giessel won election to the Alaska State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Giessel raised a total of $148,603.
|Alaska State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Catherine A. Giessel's campaign in 2010|
|Giessel, Catherine A (Cathy)||$46,135|
|Anchorage Republican Womens Club||$7,000|
|Capital City Republican Women||$4,000|
|District 31 Republicans||$2,200|
|Boyle, David T||$1,500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$148,603|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Giessel and her husband, Richard, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Catherine + Giessel + Alaska + Senate" Catherine Giessel News Feed
- Alaska State Legislature
- Alaska State Senate
- Alaska Senate Committees
- Alaska State Senate District N
- Catherine Giessel's campaign website
- Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Cathy Giessel on Facebook
- cathygiessel.com, "Issues," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Division of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidate List," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Division of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Election Division, "Official 2012 General election results," accessed November 16, 2012
- Alaska Department of Elections, "Official 2010 Primary election results," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Department of Elections, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed March 12, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Giessel, Catherine A (Cathy)," accessed August 1, 2013
|Alaska State Senate District N
| Succeeded by|
Con Bunde (R)
|Alaska State Senate District P
| Succeeded by|
Dennis Egan (D)