Challengers who defeated incumbents in 2012's state legislative elections
For the incumbents who were defeated by these challengers, see: Incumbents defeated in 2012's state legislative elections.
Challengers who won primaries
- There were a total of 44 states holding 2012 state legislative elections. In those states, 1,175 incumbents faced an opponent in a primary.
- As of Saturday, May 18, 2013, a total of 194 incumbents were defeated in 2012 legislative primaries.
- 45 challengers to incumbent state senators (15 Democrats and 30 Republicans)
- 149 challengers to incumbent state representatives (56 Democrats and 93 Republicans)
- 78 Democratic challengers to incumbent Democrats (15 state senators and 56 state representatives)
- 131 Republican challengers to incumbent Republicans (30 state senators and 93 state representatives)
Challengers who won in November
|New Legislators after the 2012 legislative elections|