|Alabama House of Representatives District 90|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||26|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Alabama|
|Master's||University of Alabama|
|Birthday||July 11, 1947|
|Place of birth||Greenville, AL|
|Profession||President, Newton Oil Company|
Newton's professional experience includes serving as the director of Greenville Bank, president of Newton Oil Company and director of the South Central Alabama Mental Health Board.
Newton served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Internal Affairs Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Public Safety
- Subcommittee on Taxes, Exemptions/Benefits (Ways and Means General Fund)
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election will take place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Walton Hickman was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Chris Sells defeated incumbent Charles Newton in the Republican primary. Hickman will face Sells in the general election.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 90 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Charles Newton Incumbent||48.9%||1,691|
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 90 General Election (2010)|
|Charles Newton (D)||8,577|
|Jerry Hartin (R)||5,855|
Newton raised $0 for his campaign.
In 2010, Newton raised $23,198 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama State Employees Association||$2,000|
|Alabama Power Co||$1,500|
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$1,500|
In 2006, Newton raised no money.
Below are Newton's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2002 election:
|AL Action Cmte for Rural Electrification||$1,000|
|AL Assoc of Realtors||$1,000|
|House Democratic Caucus of Alabama||$500|
Newton and his wife, Jan, have three children.
He is a member of the Alabama Historical Association, Cattlemen's Association, First Baptist Church of Greenville, Greenville Chamber of Commerce, and Greenville Rotary Club.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Charles + Newton + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Alabama Legislature - Charles Newton
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- MyVoteAlabama.com, "Statewide general election results (Archived)," accessed December 13, 2013
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Alabama House spending, 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- 2006 contributions to Charles Newton
- Follow the Money - 2002 Campaign contributions
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Newton
|Alabama House District 90
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|