Charles Van Zant
|Charles Van Zant|
|Florida House Of Representatives District 19|
|November 18, 2014|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||University of Florida (1968)|
|Other||Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (1974), Western Baptist Theological Seminary (2001)|
|Place of birth||November 24, 1943|
Van Zant is is Owner of Van Zant Associates, and has worked as an architect with Bruce McCarty and Associates, Kemp, Bunch, and Jackson, Reynolds, Smith and Hills, Richmond Construction Company, and Tafel-Schickli Associates.
He is a member of the American Institute of Architects, Gospel Lighthouse International, and the National Rifle Association.
Van Zant did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Van Zant's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 341 - "Termination of Pregnancy: Prohibits nonresident minor from petitioning circuit court in this state for judicial waiver of notice of termination of pregnancy."
- HB 1219 - "Regulation of State Lands and Oil and Gas Resources: Authorizes Board of Trustees of the Internal Improvement Trust Fund to accept bids for oil & gas leases on specified submerged lands"
- HB 1291 - "Public-Private Partnership Infrastructure Projects: Provides for DMS & state agency or local government to receive or solicit proposals to enter into public works infrastructure project agreement with private entity, or consortium of private entities, to build, operate, or finance public works infrastructure project"
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Zant served on the following committees:
|Florida Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Local & Federal Affairs|
|• Rules & Calendar|
|• Collective Bargaining, Chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Zant served on these committees:
|Florida Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Finance & Tax|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Zant served on these committees:
|Florida Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Health Care Regulation Policy, Vice-chair|
|• Energy & Utilities Policy|
|• Military & Local Affairs Policy|
|• Natural Resources Appropriations|
|• Legislative Auditing|
Van Zant won election in the 2012 election for Florida House of Representatives District 19. Van Zant ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012, and was unchallenged in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012. 
On November 4, 2008, Van Zant won election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 21st District, defeating Linda Meyers (D). Van Zant received 32,279 votes in the election while Myers received 30,396 votes. Van Zant raised $266,911 for his campaign; Myers raised $193,967.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 21|
|Charles Van Zant (R)||32,279||51.5%|
|Linda Myers (D)||30,396||48.5%|
Comprehensive donor information for Van Zant is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Van Zant raised a total of $194,701 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 28, 2013.
|Charles Van Zant's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Florida State House, District 19||$81,133|
|2010||Florida State House, District 21||$86,657|
|2008||Florida State House, District 21||$26,911|
|Grand Total Raised||$194,701|
Van Zant won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Van Zant raised a total of $81,133.
|Florida House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Charles Van Zant's campaign in 2012|
|Van Zant, Charles||$4,000|
|Associated Builders & Contractors of Florida||$1,500|
|Hospital Corp of America||$1,000|
|Jp Browning Consulting Llc||$750|
|Ferrara, Philip J||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$81,133|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Van Zant won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Van Zant raised a total of $86,657.
|Florida House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Charles Van Zant's campaign in 2010|
|Hospital Corp of America||$2,000|
|Jp Browning Consulting Llc||$1,000|
|Florida Chamber of Commerce||$1,000|
|Florida Police Benevolent Association||$1,000|
|Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$86,657|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Van Zant won election to the Florida House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Van Zant raised a total of $266,911.
|Florida House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Charles Van Zant's campaign in 2008|
|Florida Republican Party||$154,878|
|Van Zant Jr, Charles||$30,993|
|Florida Health Care Association||$1,000|
|Hiers-Baxley Funeral Services||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2008||$266,911|
|Source:Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Charles + Van + Zant + Florida + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Charles Van Zant's personal website
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Charles Van Zant
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2008
- Charles Van Zant on Facebook
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Van Zant Biography
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Van Zant Issue Positions
- ↑ Florida Secretary of State Election Division "Candidate List" Accessed June 21, 2012
- ↑ Florida Election Watch - 2010 Election results
- ↑ Florida House official election results for 2008
- ↑ District 21 Florida House candidate funds, 2008
- ↑ followthemoney.org, "Van Zant, Charles," accessed May 28, 2013
Michael Weinstein (R)
|Florida House of Representatives District 19
| Succeeded by|
|Florida House of Representatives District 21
| Succeeded by|
Keith Perry (R)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |
Sunshine Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of School Districts |