Charleta B. Tavares
|Ohio State Senate District 15|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Assistant Minority Leader|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||2 consecutive terms|
|Columbus City Council|
|1999 to 2010|
|Ohio State House of Representatives|
Tavares served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 1993 to 1998. She served on the Columbus City Council from 1999 to 2010.
Tavares attended Spelman College and Ohio State University. Her professional experience includes working as a legislative assistant, as the head of the Children's Protection Section of the Ohio Attorney General's Office and as the executive director of Multiethnic Advocates for Cultural Competence.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Tavares served on the following committees:
|Ohio Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Medicaid, Health, and Human Services|
|• Public Safety, Local Government, and Veterans Affairs|
|• Ways and Means|
|• Workforce and Economic Development|
|Ohio Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Government Oversight|
|• Health, Human Services and Aging|
|• State and Local Government and Veterans' Affairs|
|• Ways and Means and Economic Development|
- See also: Ohio State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Ohio State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 6, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 5, 2014. Incumbent Charleta B. Tavares was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Joe Healy was unopposed in the Republican primary. Jeff Brown is running as a Libertarian candidate. Tavares, Healy and Brown will face off in the general election.
- See also: Ohio State Senate elections, 2010
|Ohio State Senate, District 15|
|Charleta B. Tavares (D)||64,771||72.80%|
|Alicia Healy (R)||24,199||27.20%|
In 2010 Tavares raised $47,251.
Listed below are primary contributors.
|OHIO LEGISLATIVE BLACK CAUCUS||$5,000|
|OHIO FEDERATION OF TEACHERS||$2,000|
|COLUMBUS EDUCATION ASSOCIATION||$2,000|
|OHIO MEDICAL ASSOCIATION||$1,000|
Tavares and her husband, Michael, live in Columbus, Ohio.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Charleta + Tavares + Ohio + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Ohio General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Ohio state legislative districts
- Profile from the Ohio State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Sen. Charleta B. Tavares," accessed June 10, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Official primary election results for May 6, 2014," accessed July 3, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Ohio Senate: Results for November 2, 2010," accessed June 10, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 campaign contributions," accessed June 10, 2014
Ray Miller (D)
|Ohio State Senate District 15
| Succeeded by|