A vote about whether to recall three members of the Charlevoix, Michigan, city council took place on May 7, 2013. All three targeted officials were recalled from office. The recall effort was launched in November 2012. The three recalled city council members were Jill Picha, Bryan Vollmer and Dennis Kusina.
Reasons for recall
The three petition sponsors were Julee Roth, Jeffrey Porter, and Gabe Campbell. The petition language faulted the recall targets for their participation in a special meeting on August 9 at which the city council approved construction of a community fireplace in East Park. Recall supporters alleged that the meeting was a violation of the Open Meetings Act. The petition against Picha accused her of failing to enforce a city ordinance regarding the collection of debris from the city’s streets.
Dennis Kusina recall
Bryan Vollmer recall
Jill Picha recall
| C Charlevoix W3 Council|
|Shirley Gibson|| 119|| 54.59%|
|Jill Picha|| 76|| 34.86%|
|Dennis Halverson|| 22|| 10.09%|
|Write-Ins|| 1|| 0.46%|
|Election results via: Charlevoix County Services & Information Center (May 7, 2013 Election Summary, Accessed: August 29, 2013)|
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Michigan
On December 10, the Charlevoix County Election Commission approved petition language. The signature submission deadline was February 1, 2013, in order to prompt a recall election in May 2013. The petition against Vollmer was filed on January 18, the petition against Picha was filed on January 26, and the petition against Kusina was filed on January 29. Sufficient signatures were verified on all three recall petitions. A recall election took place on May 7, 2013. All three recall targets were recalled and replaced with new city councilors.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Charlevoix Courier, "Updated: Challengers sweep Charlevoix City Council recall election," May 7, 2013
- ↑ Charlevoix Courier, "Recall efforts target Charlevoix city council members Picha, Vollmer," November 30, 2012 (dead link)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Charlevoix Courier, "Petition language OKd in effort to recall 3 Charlevoix City Council members," December 10, 2012 (dead link)
- ↑ Petoskey News, "Kusina added to Charlevoix City Council members facing recall," December 9, 2012
- ↑ Charlevoix Courier, "Clerk: New law won't affect Charlevoix City Council recall efforts," January 4, 2013
- ↑ Charlevoix Courier, "Charlevoix City Council recalls move forward," February 1, 2013