Chris Edwards (Nevada)
|Nevada State Assembly, District 19|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Notre Dame|
|Master's||George Washington University|
He was a 2012 Republican candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 1st Congressional District of Nevada. Edwards was defeated by Democratic candidate Dina Titus on November 6, 2012.
Edwards joined the Navy after obtaining his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Notre Dame in 1986. After he transitioned into reserve duty in 1994, he interned for Richard Armey in the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1996, he received his M.P.A. from the George Washington University. He has since worked as a public administrator and national security consultant.
On his campaign website, Edwards listed three key issues. They are:
- As a free-market conservative, Edwards listed that he believes that the basic economic principle of "Supply and Demand" will win out in the long-run. He proposed a 3-phrase plan to fix the housing crisis in Nevada: First, he proposed that monthly mortgage payments be made more affordable by "refinancing 100 percent of the current loan at lower interest rates at no cost to the homeowner." Second, he advised principal reductions. Third, he suggested traditional resales as way to stabilize the market.
- Edwards proposed both immediate and long-term actions.
- Immediate: Approve the Keystone XL project, increase access to federal offshore lands for oil exploration, allow coal-fired plants to continue operating while improvements are developed, set business taxes "as low as possible for as long as possible," review business taxes that are set to increase in 2013, replace the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Long-term: Make each congressional member responsible for $1 billion in federal savings, enact spending cuts to eliminate the deficit, review (and cut unnecessary) federal programs, and make the government borrow private sector practices to achieve savings.
- Foreign Policy
- Edwards stated that, "the world continues to be a dangerous place," but he believes that, "despite the troubles there are a number of opportunities for the United States. We could encourage pro-Western, moderate governments in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya. Brazil and Columbia are close neighbors with advanced economies whom we could make close friends and greater trading partners. There are many opportunities to build new friendships and trading relationships beyond the headlines. We must have a more competent, realistic and consistent foreign policy that creates new friendships and leads to significant, and mutually profitable, relationships. We must be ready to take advantage of opportunities when they arise."
- See also: Nevada State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Nevada State Assembly will consist of a primary election on June 10, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. James Zygadlo is unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Laura Bledsoe will face Chris Edwards and Frank Tavares in the Republican primary. Donald Hendon is running as a Libertarian candidate.
Edwards ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Nevada's 1st District. He defeated Charmaine Guss, Brian Landsberger, Herb Peters, and Miguel Rodrigues in the Republican primary on June 12, 2012. Edwards faced Democrat Dina Titus, Libertarian William Pojunis, and Independent American Party candidate Stan Vaughan in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Nevada District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Independent American Party of Nevada||Stan Vaughan||2.3%||4,145|
|Source: Nevada Secretary of State "U.S. House of Representatives Results"|
|Nevada's 1st Congressional District Republican Primary, 2012|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Nevada's 1st Congressional District, 2012 - Chris Edwards Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$1,273,981|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$1,219,621|
|Top contributors to Chris Edwards (Nevada)'s campaign committee|
|Chris Edwards for Congress||$90,090|
|Assn of American Physicians & Surgeons||$2,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$5,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chris + Edwards + Nevada + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Nevada State Assembly
- Nevada State Legislature
- Nevada State Assembly elections, 2014
- Nevada State Assembly District 19
- Politico, "2012 Election Map, Nevada"
- Chris Edwards Resume "Christopher T. Edwards" March 22, 2012
- Chris Edwards for Congress "Issues" April 19, 2012
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2014 filed candidates," accessed April 8, 2014
- Clark County, "Candidate filing," accessed April 8, 2014
- C-SPAN Campaign 2012 "Nevada Primary Results," June 12, 2012
- Open Secrets, "Chris Edwards 2012 Election Cycle," accessed March 21, 2013