|New Jersey Commissioner of Education|
|January 18, 2011 - February 27, 2014|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||December 10, 2010|
|Appointed by||Gov. Chris Christie (R)|
|Bachelor's||Amherst College (1977)|
|J.D.||Columbia Law School|
|Other||Broad Urban Superintendents Academy (2004)|
|Place of birth||Montclair, New Jersey|
Cerf began his career as a history teacher at Cincinnati Country Day School in Cincinnati, Ohio. After earning his law degree, Cerf went on to serve as a clerk in the U.S. Appellate and U.S. Supreme Courts, followed by private law practice. He also served as Associate Counsel to the President in the Clinton Administration from 1994-1996.
- Graduate, Broad Urban Superintendents Academy, 2004
- JD, Columbia Law School
- Graduate, Amherst College, 1977
New Jersey Commissioner of Education (2011-2014)
Cerf finally became certified as commissioner on July 26, 2012 - some 18 months after his nomination by the governor. His appointment was held up when state Sen. Ron Rice (D) blocked Cerf without providing a reason, a practice which is known as senatorial courtesy. In response, Christie refused to appoint any new judges in Essex County until the Senate Judiciary Committee considered Cerf's appointment.
Cerf's hearing was further delayed after he said in an interview that he lived in "Montclair," then corrected himself to say "Montgomery." While he owned a home in Montclair, he had moved to an apartment in Montgomery and the confusion upset the committee. Although he finally did win unanimous approval from the Senate committee on July 26, 2012, it was not before hours of Cerf listing his ambitions for the department and being grilled by Democrats.
Deputy Chancellor, New York City Department of Education (2004-2009)
Christie stated, “I am thankful that Chris Cerf is bringing to New Jersey his passion for education and experienced leadership to help enact the bold and innovative education measures we need to finally bring a quality education to every child in our state. Mr. Cerf's innovative leadership will be invaluable as we address the civil rights issue of our time."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Christopher + Cerf + New Jersey + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey Commissioner of Education
- Governor of New Jersey
- Chris Christie
- New Jersey school districts
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Education Commission, "Commissioner of Education," accessed June 22, 2012
- State of New Jersey, "Governor Chris Christie Names Christopher Cerf to Lead New Jersey Department of Education," December 20, 2010
- Office of the Governor, "Governor Christie Names David Hespe To Lead New Jersey Department Of Education," February 27, 2014
- The Star-Ledger, "N.J. Senate panel to discuss acting state education chief Christopher Cerf's qualifications, residency," July 26, 2012
- North Jersey, "Analysis: N.J. Senate judiciary panel OKs Cerf as education commissioner," July 26, 2012
|New Jersey Commissioner of Education
| Succeeded by|