|Governor of Nebraska|
He ran briefly for election to the U.S. Senate in 2012, but withdrew from the race before the primary election.
Hassebrook is a University of Nebraska graduate and native of Platte Center, Nebraska. He was the Executive Director of the Center for Rural Affairs in Lyons, Nebraska. Hassebrook serves on the University of Nebraska Board of Regents, including two terms as chair, and is current Chair of the Board of the USDA North Central Region Rural Development Center. He previously served on the Nebraska Rural Development Commission, US Department of Agriculture National Commission on Small Farms, USDA Agricultural Science and Technology Review Board and the Board Bread for the World.
- See also: Nebraska gubernatorial election, 2014
Hassebrook supports property tax relief instead of but is strongly opposed to Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman's plan to eliminate the income tax. Hassebrook has also said during his campaign stops that he would expand preschool programs in the state because many children are not ready for kindergarten. "We have too many kids not getting what they need, and if they don't succeed, our state can't succeed," Hassebrook said. "Because, if they can't get an education then they can't contribute to our state's prosperity, in fact they're probably going to detract from it through public assistance or law enforcement and the corrections system."
Hassebrook ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. Senate, representing Nebraska. He sought the nomination on the Democratic ticket, but dropped out of the race on March 8, 2012 when he, in his words, "came to realization that I would not succeed."
The primary took place on June 5, 2012.
|US Senate - Nebraska Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Steven P. Lustgarten||2.6%||2,177|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chuck + Hassbrook + Nebraska + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Freemont Tribune, "Hasseback will enter 2014 governor's race," June 3, 2013
- Center for Rural Affairs, "Passing the Torch - Chuck Hassebrook departs, Brian Depew tapped as new Center for Rural Affairs Executive Director," August 26, 2013
- Center for Rural Affairs, "Chuck Hassebrook" April 13, 2012
- KHAS TV, Gubernatorial candidate Chuck Hassebrook campaigns in Hastings, October 28, 2013
- Journal Star, "Hassebrook withdraws from Senate race, endorses Kerrey" April 26, 2012
- Nebraska Secretary of State, "Canvass Report" accessed October 11, 2012
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |