Cities in Arkansas
Types of local government
Arkansas' local governments fall into the following categories:
- Counties: there are 75 counties in Arkansas.
- Municipalities: there are 501 municipalities in Arkansas. They are generally classified by increasing population as "incorporated towns," "cities of the second class," and "cities of the first class." In certain circumstances, cities may raise their classification by one level through a referendum vote (in the case of towns) or a local ordinance (in the case of second class cities). State statutes provide for municipal charters, but no cities have yet adopted one.
- In addition, there are 727 special districts and 239 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
All of Arkansas' 75 counties have an initiative process for ordinances.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Arkansas|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Little Rock||195,314||General Law||N/A|
|Fort Smith||87,152||General Law||N/A|
|North Little Rock||62,886||General Law||N/A|
|Pine Bluff||48,339||General Law||N/A|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Arkansas cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- Arkansas Municipal League, "Guidebook for Municipal Officials of Mayor/Council Cities," Revised May 2007
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Arkansas Constitution, Article 5, Section 1
- Arkansas Code, § 14-42-304
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)