Cities in Texas
Types of local government
Local government in Texas consists of 254 counties and 1,214 cities. In addition, there are 2,309 special districts and 1,079 independent school districts.
Cities in Texas are classified as:
- Home rule charter city: of which there are 352
- General law city (which may be Type A,B, or C): of which there are 862
Initiative process availability
There is no statewide initiative process set for general law cities. As creatures of state statute, general law cities do not have authority to adopt initiative elections on their own.
Initiative is only available in charter cities. State statutes mandate an initiative process for citizens to propose charter amendments through petition. Charter cities also have authority to permit an initiative process for ordinances. The top 10 most populated cities in Texas all operate under a home rule charter. 9 of the 10 (all except Arlington) authorize initiative for ordinances.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Texas|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Texas cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Texas Municipal League Handbook, Chap. 1 Local Government
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)