For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
City of Hercules Sales Tax Increase, Measure O (June 2012)
June 5, 2012 ballot for voters in the City of Hercules in Contra Costa County.
Since the measure was approved, it will levy a half-cent sales tax for four years.
A simple majority was required for approval.
Steve Duran is the city manager of the City of Hercules. He wrote:
- "As background, last year the City trimmed its budget by $6 million and has cut another $1.5 million since July 1, 2011 to eliminate a structural deficit. Over the last year, we have had to reduce the City’s workforce by over 40%, reduce salaries and benefits for remaining employees, cancel all City special events, and cut many basic services including police protection, library hours, general maintenance, and senior services. Additionally, Hercules’ revenues have dropped over 30% over the last two years.
- Unfortunately, we have reached the point where the City is simply out of areas to cut without dramatically affecting our community’s safety and quality of life. Police staffing has already been reduced below recommended levels to ensure the safety and security of the community. This is why the City Council took recent action to declare a fiscal emergency and place Measure O on the June ballot, to help ensure the City’s financial stability during these challenging times."
The question on the ballot:
|MEASURE O: "Local Temporary Emergency Funding Measure. To address Hercules' Fiscal Emergency, stabilize city finances, offset budget shortfalls/the impact of State budget cuts on local services, prevent reductions to the number of police officers/crime investigators, protect/maintain crime prevention, childcare, youth sports and recreation programs and other general City services, shall the City of Hercules establish a 1/2 cent sales tax legally ending after 4 years, with Independent Citizens' Oversight, Independent Audits and no money for Sacramento?"|
- Save Hercules, a website in favor of Measure O
- Mercury News, "East Bay races and measures head to June 5 ballot," March 9, 2012
- Mercury News, "Hercules officials boost June 5 sales tax measure to boost police, youth, senior and other services," May 6, 2012
- Hercules Patch, "City's Argument for Sales Tax and HMU Ballot Measures," May 1, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.