City of Willits Appointed City Clerk, Measure B (November 2009)
Measure B asked whether the City Clerk and City Treasurer positions should be appointed by the City Council rather than elected at a general municipal election.
- These final, certified, results are from the Mendocino County elections office.
Previous method of selection
The way that the Willits City Clerk and City Treasurer were chosen prior to the approval of Measure B was:
- The offices of City Clerk and City Treasurer were elected by the voters at a general municipal election.
- Candidates for the offices had to be registered city voters.
- The elected City Clerk and City Treasurer served a four-year term of office.
Measure B changes
Under Measure B:
- The offices of City Clerk and City Treasurer are appointive.
- The City Clerk and City Treasurer are appointed by the City Council.
- Vacancies in the offices of City Clerk and City Treasurer are filled by the City Council.
- The City Clerk and City Treasurer are not required to reside in the City.
- Some believed that removing the residency requirement would "increase the likelihood of filling the position with someone possessing the technical skills required to perform the City Clerk and City Treasurer duties."
- There is no term of office associated with the positions.
The question on the ballot:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|Measure B: "Shall the offices of city clerk and city treasurer be appointive? Yes or No"|