Clark County Transit Sales Tax Increase (November 2011)
This measure was approved
- YES 44,890 (53.92%)
- NO 38,356 (46.08%)
This measure was proposed to increase the transit sales tax by .2 percent on bus service and operational costs. New routes will also be added with this tax increase but another measure will be needed for a high capacity transit system in the Vancouver area.
Light rail was also supposed to be included in this proposed measure but the transit authority decided to wait until 2012 to ask voters about light rail and this issue will just cover bus services. The board felt that the light rail service issue was not ready to be asked and decided that one tax increase was enough for one measure. Though board members noted that if this measure had been defeated it would have been harder to get the light rail measure approved. If there is not a solid transit system in place then light rail would likely not be able to get the government money which is expected. Without the bus routes to connect people to the light rail, light rail would suffer. Though the two issues have been separated on the ballot, transit officials noted that they are still dependent on each other. They hoped that residents would see the need for both and approve this first measure.
The Vancouver Freight Alliance announced its support of this measure, noting that the measure would secure bus services and allow for less congested roads for both freight and commuter traffic.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|C-TRAN, Clark County Public Transportation Benefit Area Authority, in adopting Resolution BR-11-004, authorizes a proposition to increase the sales and use tax by 0.2 percent, or two pennies on a ten dollar purchase, to preserve C-TRAN local fixed route, limited, commuter and Connector service in the City of Vancouver and its 2005 Urban Growth Boundary, and the city limits only of Camas, Washougal, Battle Ground, La Center, Ridgefield, and the town of Yacolt; and to meet the current and projected growth for Paratransit service, C-VAN.|
- ↑ Clark County Elections, Unofficial November Election Results
- ↑ The Columbian, "Letter: Vote on light rail this year," March 27, 2011
- ↑ The Columbian, "Fate of light rail will go before voters," September 14, 2011
- ↑ The Columbian, "C-Tran will ask only for bus funds in 2011," April 12, 2011
- ↑ The Columbian, "C-TRAN VOTE: How much rides on November bus service ballot measure?," July 30, 2011
- ↑ The Oregonian, "Vancouver Freight Alliance endorses ballot measure to increase sales tax by 0.2%," September 26, 2011
- ↑ C-Tran, Ballot Measure Information