For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Clatsop County Exotic Animal Ban Ordinance (May 2012)
This measure was defeated
- YES 3,962 (40.15%)
- NO 5,905 (59.85%)
This measure will ban the use of exotic animals by circuses in the unincorporated areas of the county. This measure was brought to the County Board of Commission by animal activists in the county, who saw circus' use of exotic animals as cruel. Animal activists cite allegations of animal abuse by circus' as well as the use of inhumane tools used on animals such as bull hooks on elephants. A letter sent in October from Feld Entertainment, which operates Ringling Bros. & Barnum and Bailey Circus, stated that the animal activists group should not be able to impose their beliefs on others. Later the circus was given a fine by the USDA for animal welfare issues, the county activists stated the fine was proof of animal mistreatment by the circus. The ban will only cover exotic animals as covered in a state statute. Since it was defeated, the fine would have been up to $500.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Shall displaying elephants or exotic animals be prohibited on all property in the unincorporated area of Clatsop County?|
- The Oregonian, "Clatsop County residents to vote on whether to allow circuses that display elephants, other exotic animals," April 5, 2012
- Clatsop County Clerk, May Unofficial Election Results
- The Daily Astorian, "Clatsop County circus opponents get their wish – a vote in May," December 1, 2011
- Clatsop County Elections, Current Election Information
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.