Clay County, Missouri
Portions of this article were taken from Wikipedia
It is the seventh most populous county in Missouri. As of 2010, the population was 221,939. Its county seat is Liberty. The county was organized in 1822 and was named in honor of U.S. Representative Henry Clay from Kentucky, later member of the United States Senate and United States Secretary of State.
Clay County is part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area.
- Main article: Evaluation of Missouri county websites
This website was most recently reviewed on 19 March 2013.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 2 years.
- Meeting minutes are archived for 4 years.
- Meeting agendas are archived for 4 years.
- A meeting calendar is available and names the times and locations of public meetings.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Administrative officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Permits and zoning
- Zoning ordinances are posted online.
- Permit applications can be downloaded on the site, along with information on how to apply for the permits.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2011 are available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Approved contract statements are provided for vendors.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state, and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Residents are able to pay taxes online.
- Budgets are not archived for at least 3 years.
- Audits are not archived for 3 years.
- Public records
|2009 Actuals||2010 Actual
|2011 Projected||2012 Amended
|2012 Proposed||2012 Adopted|
The Clay County Commission, the County's elected Officers and the County Administrator combine to govern the County in a council-manager form of government. This system of government combines the experience of locally elected political leadership with strong managerial support from an appointed government manager.
|Pam Mason (Presiding Commissioner)|
|Larry Larson (Western Commissioner)|
|Katee Porter (Eastern Commissioner)|
A list of county departments and offices can be found here.
The Clay County Administrator's position is integral to the professional management of the County's day-to-day operations. The Administrator carries out County policy, is responsive to the Clay County Commission and administers local government projects and programs on behalf of the Commission through a staff of appointed professionals representing numerous departments. The Administrator serves in an advisory capacity to the Clay County Commission. In addition, among other responsibilities, the County Administrator serves as Chief Budget Officer and oversees budgeting, recruitment, hiring and supervision activities throughout each of the County's departments.
The current Administrator is Alexa Barton.
The total amount paid for County employee salaries is $21,672,948 in 2011.
Below are Clay County employees earning more than $75,000 a year.
| Director of Judicial
|Lead Systems Analyst||$81,596|
| Assistant County
| Director of Information
County employees participate in the Missouri Local Government Employees Retirement System. MOLAGERS is a defined benefit retirement plan covering over 600 employers, with 33,000 active members and 16,000 retirees.
Transparency & public records
Clay County earned a 2012 Sunny Award for receiving a perfect score on the Ten Point Transparency Checklist.
The county collects a real estate and personal property tax. Real estate for residential property is calculated at 19% of market value, and commercial property at 32%. Personal property is based on 33.3% of market value. A tax estimate can be gauged by visiting the tax collector's webpage.
- Official Clay County Website
- 7th Judicial Circuit of Clay County
- Clay County Board of Election Commissioners
- Clay County Public Health Center
- Clay County Economic Development Council
- Clay County on E-Reference
State of Missouri
Jefferson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor & Industrial Relations | Chairman of Public Service Commission |