|Alabama State Senate District 9|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Birthday||May 6, 1980|
|Place of birth||Cullman, AL|
|Profession||Owner, Scofield Farms|
Scofield earned his B.S. in Agricultural Business and Economics from Auburn University. His professional experience includes working as a poultry farmer.
Scofield served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee
- Business and Labor Committee
- Commerce, Transportation and Utilities Committee
- Fiscal Responsibility and Accountability Committee
- Job Creation and Economic Development Committee
- Local Legislation No. 4 Committee
- Reapportionment Committee, Alabama State Legislature
- Small Business Committee Vice-Chair
- Tourism and Marketing Committee Chair
Scofield's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- "No new taxes should be imposed on our hard working families
- In bringing new jobs and industry to District 9
- Education dollars need to actually reach our children
- In the need for smaller and more ethical government
- A strong military
- In the right of every law-abiding citizen to own a gun
- In traditional marriage between one man and one woman
- In standing strong against illegal immigration"
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Clay Scofield was unopposed in the Republican primary and is unchallenged in the general election. Although he filed to run, Wade Taylor did not appear on the Republican primary ballot.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Scofield defeated opponents Tony Cochran and John E. Wilson in the June 1 primary. He then defeated Don Spurlin in the July 13 primary runoff. He defeated Democrat Tim Mitchell in the November 2 general election.
|Alabama State Senate, District 9 General election (2010)|
|Clay Scofield (R)||30,834|
|Tim Mitchell (D)||13,933|
|Alabama State Senate, District 9 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Clay Scofield (R)||6,532|
|Don Spurlin (R)||5,656|
|Tony Cochran (R)||4,238|
|John E. Wilson (R)||3,927|
|Alabama State Senate, District 9 Republican Primary Runoff (2010)|
|Clay Scofield (R)||10,569|
|Don Spurlin (R)||9,956|
In 2010, Scofield raised $305,203 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Republican Party||$45,179|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$43,110|
|Business Council Of Alabama||$22,500|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of October 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Clay + Scofield + Alabama + Senate." Because the results are from a google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator.
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Clay Scofield's campaign website (Dated)
- Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Clay Scofield on Facebook
- Clay Scofield's campaign website, "Issues," accessed May 5, 2014 (Dated)
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama2010.com, "Republican Primary results," accessed May 5, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 20, 2013
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces Alabama Leadership Team," March 12, 2012
|Alabama State Senate District 9
| Succeeded by|