|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||Serves at pleasure of state|
|Authority:||Colorado Revised Statutes, Section 24-30-201|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration|
|Assumed office:||April 1, 2008|
|Other Colorado Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Exec. Director • Labor Executive Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current controller is David McDermott, who was first appointed on April 1, 2008. As the controller is a permanent employee of the state, he is not subject to periodic reappointment.
McDermott was an accountant in the state controller's office from 1992 to 2008. He began his career in the Colorado state auditor's office in 1989. Before entering state employment, he worked in the residential home building industry in Denver from 1972 to 1987. McDermott earned a B.S. in accounting from the University of Colorado at Denver. He and his wife, Jenny, have two children.
The office of controller is established by state law.
Colorado Revised Statutes, Section 24-30-201
|(1) The powers, duties, and functions concerning accounts and control as set forth in this part 2 shall be the responsibility of the state controller.|
There are no particular qualifications for the office of controller.
The controller is appointed by the executive director of the Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration.
Vacancies are handled in the same manner as normal appointments: the executive director of the personnel department chooses a new officeholder.
The controller's office:
- Manages statewide budgetary controls
- Promulgates State Fiscal Rules
- Issues statewide financial reports
- Generates on-line management reports
- Manages the state's contract process
- Manages payroll and tax accounting
- Manages the state's vendor file tracking
- Monitors the state's fraud reporting hotline and quality assurance
- Prepares all statewide indirect cost allocation reports
- Prepares the State Taxpayer Accountability Report
- Central Accounting Operations
- Central Payroll
- Statewide Contract Approval
- Contract Administration
- Central Accounting Services
- Reporting & Analysis
- Field Accounting Services Team
- Statewide Audit, Compliance Review, and Special Projects
- Recovery Audits
In 2010, the controller received compensation in the amount of $126,540.
633 17th St., Suite 1500
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 866-6200
Fax: (303) 866-4233
- ↑ Colorado Office of the State Controller, "Bio of David J. McDermott," accessed August 5, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Colorado Revised Statutes, "Section 24-30-201," accessed August 5, 2011.
- ↑ Colorado Office of the State Controller, "Staff Directory," accessed August 5, 2011.
- ↑ The Council on State Governments, "Book of the States -- 2010," accessed August 5, 2011.