Connecticut Commissioner of Education
|Connecticut Commissioner of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$3,246,939,898|
|Length of term:||4 years coterminous with the governor's|
|Authority:||General Statutes of Connecticut, 10-163-3a|
|Selection Method:||Recommended by the State Board of Education for gubernatorial appointment|
|Assumed office:||January 6, 2015|
|Other Connecticut Executive Offices|
|Governor•Lieutenant Governor•Secretary of State•Attorney General•Treasurer•Comptroller•Commissioner of Education•Agriculture Commissioner•Insurance Commissioner•Energy & Environmental Protection Commissioner•Labor Commissioner•Public Utilities Regulatory Authority|
The current interim officeholder is Dianna Wetzell. The state board of education named her to the position in January 2015, after former-Commissioner Stefan Pryor stepped down. Wetzell will fill the role until the board finds a new commissioner to permanently replace Pryor. Before she was tapped for the interim appointment, Wetzell was serving as the state department of education’s chief academic officer.
The office of commissioner is established by state law.
General Statutes of Connecticut, 10-163-3a
There shall be a Department of Education which shall serve as the administrative arm of the State Board of Education. The department shall be under the direction of the Commissioner of Education...
State law requires that the commissioner be "qualified by training and experience for the duties of his office," but does not establish any specific requirements.
General Statutes of Connecticut, 4-46-8
Each department head shall be qualified by training and experience for the duties of his office.
General Statutes of Connecticut, 4-46-8
The department shall be under the direction of the Commissioner of Education, whose appointment shall be recommended to the Governor by the State Board of Education for a term of four years to be coterminous with the term of the Governor. Such appointment shall be in accordance with the provisions of sections 4-5 to 4-7, inclusive. The Commissioner of Education shall be the administrative officer of the department and shall administer, coordinate and supervise the activities of the department in accordance with the policies established by the board.
There are no term limits associated with the office of commissioner of education.
As with all state appointive offices, vacancies in the office of education commissioner are filled by the governor and approved by a majority vote in both houses of the state legislature. If a vacancy occurs while the legislature is not in session, the governor may appoint a replacement to serve until the sixth Wednesday of the next legislative session.
The commissioner is the administrative officer of the Department of Education and is directed by law to "administer, coordinate and supervise the activities of the department in accordance with the policies established by the State Board of Education."
- Affirmative Action
- Planning, Media & Constituent Services
- Legal & Government Affairs
- Internal Audit
- Connecticut Technical High School System
- Data Management, Analysis & Evaluation
- Adult Education & Systems Support
- Trade/ACAD Curriculum & Instruction
- Assessment, Research & Technology
- Student Assessment
- Data Collection, Research & Evaluation
- Teaching, Learning & Instructional Leadership
- Teaching & Learning
- Accountability & Improvement
- Educator Standards & Certification
- Family & Student Support Services
- Special Education
- Choice Programs
- Health/Nutrition, Family Services & Adult Education
- Finance & Internal Operations
- Human Resources
- Fiscal Services
- School Facilities
- Grants Management
- See also: Connecticut state budget and finances
The budget for the Department of Education in the 2012-2013 Fiscal Year was $3,246,939,898.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
The commissioner's salary is determined by law.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Connecticut Commissioner of Education has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Connecticut + Commissioner + Education
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: (860) 713-6543
- Connecticut state executive offices
- Connecticut state executive officials
- Superintendent of Schools
- Connecticut school districts
- Connecticut Department of Education
- Public education in Connecticut
- CBS New York, "Connecticut Education Commissioner Stefan Pryor Stepping Down," August 19, 2015
- The Middletown Press News, "Former New London superintendent eyed as Connecticut education commissioner," January 6, 2015
- General Statutes of Connecticut, "10-163-3a," accessed July 28, 2011
- General Statutes of Connecticut, "4-46-8," accessed July 28, 2011
- General Statutes of Connecticut, "4-46-7," accessed July 27, 2011
- Connecticut Office of Policy and Management Budget Documents, "20132-2013 Biennium Governor's Budget," accessed May 28, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed November 14, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014