Cornelius recall nears, mayor and two city councilors face vote
CORNELIUS, Oregon: The ballots are out and local voters in Cornelius, Oregon will soon be casting their vote to recall or retain Mayor Neal Knight, City Councilor Mari Gottwald and City Councilor Jamie Minshall.
Knight, Minshall and Gottwald, also called "Team 3," were first elected to their positions in November 2010 and sworn-in in early January 2011. They represent three of the five members of the Cornelius city council.
In order to force a special recall election supporters were required to collect a minimum of 391 signatures per recall target. The effort was initiated by former Cornelius city councilor Brad Coffey.
A few of the reasons provided by supporters of the recall include:
- They voted to fire city manager Dave Waffle.
- They support eliminating the city's General Service Fee.
- They "have not considered public input during public hearings."
Ballots must be received by the election office by 8 p.m. on September 27, election day.
Ballot drop box sites include: Cornelius City Hall-Library, Washington County Public Services Building, 155 N. First Ave., Hillsboro, and Washington County Elections, 3700 SW Murray Blvd., Suite 101, Beaverton.
- Recall campaigns in Oregon
- Neal Knight, Jamie Minshall and Mari Gottwald recall, Cornelius, Oregon (2011)
- The Oregonian, "The ballots are in the mail for Cornelius recall," September 13, 2011
- Oregonian, "Cornelius City Council approves 2011-12 city budget in hasty 5-0 vote," June 14, 2011
- Forest Grove Newstimes, "In recall politics, few certainties," July 6, 2011
- Forest Grove News Times, "‘Yes’ or ‘No’ on Cornelius recall?," July 6, 2011