Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District parcel tax, Measure D (June 2012)
Measure D levied a $89 annual parcel tax for five years. At the time, this was expected to generate $5.3 million for the district over the five years the tax would be in effect.
- These final election results are from the Sonoma County elections office.
- Marc Orloff. a trustee on the school board, said, "With the parcel tax, we can further the education of our kids."
- Andrew Longmire, a trustee on the school board, said, "From who I've talked to, even people who don't have students in our district said they'd support the parcel tax, given our vision."
For fiscal year 2012-2013, the district had a $43.2 million budget. The district taught 8,300 students in 1999. In the 2013-2014 school year, it expected to enroll just 5,450 students (down from 5,900 students in 2012-2013).
Due to the declining enrollment at the time, the district had closed two elementary schools and one middle school since 2008. Mountain Shadows Middle School, Gold Ridge Elementary and La Fiesta were the schools that were closed.
The question on the ballot:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|MEASURE D: To protect quality education with local funding that cannot be taken by the state, shall Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District preserve reading, writing, math and science programs; keep school libraries open and available for students; protect art, music and vocational instruction; and attract/retain qualified teachers by leavying $89 per parcel annually for five years, no money for administrators' salaries, and all funds staying local?|
Path to the ballot
All five members of the district's board of trustees voted to place Measure D on the ballot.
- Rohnert Park Patch, "Parcel Tax Clears School Board; Voters Will Have Final Say in June," accessed February 23, 2012
- KTVU, "Sonoma: Voters approve all eight ballot measures," June 6, 2012
- Press Democrat, "Cotati-Rohnert Park schools planning parcel tax," February 26, 2012
- Rohnert Park Patch, "Parcel Tax Dubbed Measure D, Goes to Voters in June," March 13, 2012