Counties in Oklahoma
Types of local government
Local government in Oklahoma consists of:
- Counties: There are 77 counties in Oklahoma. No county operates under a charter.
- Municipalities: There are 594 municipalities in Oklahoma. Municipalities with fewer than 1,000 residents are considered towns. Those with more than 1,000 residents may become a city by local referendum vote. There are 163 cities and 431 towns. Municipalities with a population over 2,000 may adopt a charter--86 have done so.
- In addition, there are 637 special districts and 550 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
All 86 charter municipalities have mandated charter amendment through initiative and referendum.
All 508 general law municipalities have mandated initiative and referendum for ordinances.
No counties in Oklahoma have the powers of initiative and referendum.
- See also: Evaluation of Oklahoma county websites
- Two Oklahoma counties put their budgets on their websites.
- Nine counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 15 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 12 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- One provided information about permits and zoning in the county.
- None of the counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- None of the counties provided information about contracts with county vendors.
- None of the county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- Four county websites provided information on how to request public records using the Oklahoma Open Records Act .
- 11 county websites provided some information about county taxes.
- National Association of Counties, "County Seats," accessed September 18, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions, Pg. 323
- Oklahoma Department of Libraries, Oklahoma Almanac, "Oklahoma Municipal Government," 2005
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
State of Oklahoma
Oklahoma City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor and Inspector | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Wildlife Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Commissioner of Corporations |