Counting the Michigan state legislative committees
LANSING, Michigan: There are 39 total standing committees in Michigan state government. That is the 23rd most committees among the 50 states, according to a Ballotpedia study of state legislatures and their committees.
- With 148 total state legislators (38 Senators and 110 House representatives), the ratio of state legislators to committees is 3.79. That is the 29th highest ratio.
- On the 39 committees in Michigan there are a total of 414 members -- meaning a committee's average size is 10.62 legislators. With 2.8 committees per legislator slots, Michigan has the 17th lowest ratio among the 50 states.
A standing committee was determined as being any committee that appeared to be permanent in the state. Select and special committees -- such as a one-year study commission -- were not counted in this report.
In the 50 states, Nevada has the fewest total committees with 21 while Mississippi has the most with 91. The highest ratio of legislators to committees is New Hampshire with 10.34 and the lowest being Delaware at 1.17.
- Standing committees in state legislatures during the 2011-2012 session
- Michigan State Legislature
- Michigan State Senate
- Michigan House of Representatives