Dallas No Taxpayer Subsidies for Hotels Without Popular Vote (2009)
If it had been approved by voters, the measure would have added a new city charter that will require Dallas to:
- Conduct a citywide referendum each time the city wants to give $1 million or more in subsidies to private developers of hotels, condominiums and retail facilities.
- 500 registered voters from Dallas would have to sign a petition to call a citywide referendum on this type of subsidy. 
UNITE HERE, a service employee union, has been a primary supporter of the measure.
The measure was defeated.
- Yes: 33,824 (42.09%)
- No: 46,541 (57.91%) 
Path to the ballot
More than 20,000 signatures were collected to qualify it for the ballot.
The Dallas City-Owned Convention Center Hotel Referendum (2009) will be on the same May 9 ballot.
- ↑ Dallas Morning News, "Dallas council puts two convention hotel-related proposals on ballot", March 4, 2009
- ↑ Dallas News, "Labor union backing anti-subsidy referendum has troubles of its own", March 27, 2009
- ↑ The Morning Dallas News,"Dallas convention hotel supporters prevail in tight race," May 10,2009
- ↑ Dallas County,"May 9,2009 election results," retrieved May 11,2009