|U.S. House, New York, District 24|
|2009-2011, January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position (current service)||0|
|Years in position (previous service)||2|
|Predecessor||Richard L. Hanna (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|U.S. House, New York, District 25|
|Master's||Columbia University, Harvard University|
|Birthday||July 4, 1968|
|Place of birth||Syracuse, NY|
Maffei formerly served one term in the U.S. House representing New York's 25th congressional district. He is one of nine individuals elected to the U.S. House in 2012 who have prior congressional experience, and one of five House Democrats ousted in 2010 who won back seats from freshman Republicans two years later.
Maffei has worked as a television news reporter for Channel 9 in Syracuse and he has served as a communications and policy advisor for Senators Bill Bradley and Daniel Patrick Moynihan. He previously served in the House.
Maffei serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Armed Services
- Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces
- Subcommittee on Intelligence, Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Science, Space, and Technology
- Subcommittee on Oversight - Ranking Member
- Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics
Maffei listed several of his campaign themes on his website including:
- Tax Relief
- Balanced Budget
- Retirement Security
- Iraq and Afghanistan
- Ending Bailouts
- Making Trade Work.
Frequency of Voting with Democratic Leadership
According to a July 2010 analysis of 1,357 votes cast from January 1, 2009 to June 16, 2010, Rep. Maffei has voted with the House Democratic leadership 96.0% of the time. That same analysis reported that he also voted with party leadership 95.7% of the time in 2010.
Washington Post Analysis
A separate analysis from The Washington Post, concluded that he votes 96.5% of the time with the majority of rank-and-file Democrats in the House of Representatives.
Maffei supported the "Cap and Trade" bill. Just after the bill’s passage, 42% of likely U.S. voters said that cap and trade would hurt the economy, while 19% believed it would help. 15% said that the bill would have no impact.
Finally, Maffei voted in favor of the health care reform bill. 57% of likely voters at least somewhat favor repeal of the health care reform bill, including 46% who strongly favor repeal. 35% of likely voters oppose repeal. 51% of likely voters believe the health care reform bill will be bad for the country, while 36% believe it will be beneficial.
Maffei is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
Maffei ran for U.S. House in 2012. He was unopposed in the Democratic and Working Families Party primaries and faced incumbent Ann Marie Buerkle (R) and Ursula Rozum (G) in the November 6, 2012, general election. Maffei won the election.
|U.S. House, New York, District 24 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Ann Marie Buerkle Incumbent||41.9%||127,054|
|Source: New York State Board of Elections "U.S. House of Representatives Results"|
Comprehensive donor information for Maffei is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Maffei raised a total of $2,032,959 during that time period. This information was last updated on March 23, 2013.
|Dan Maffei's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||U.S. House of Representatives (New York, District 24)||$2,032,959|
|Grand Total Raised||$2,032,959|
|U.S. House of Representatives, New York's 24th Congressional District, 2012 - Dan Maffei Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$2,018,350|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$2,056,079|
|Top contributors to Dan Maffei's campaign committee|
|Democratic Congressional Campaign Cmte||$23,250|
|League of Conservation Voters||$16,693|
|New Democrat Coalition||$12,251|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Public Sector Unions||$81,500|
|Securities & Investment||$81,262|
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Maffei missed 38 of 1,757 roll call votes from Jan 2009 to Apr 2013, which is 2.2% of votes during that period. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. 
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Maffei's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $-97,998 to $-2. That averages to $-49,000, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic House members in 2011 of $5,107,874.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Dan + Maffei + New York + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rep. Dan Maffei: Entire New York congressional delegation supports Harriet ... - Auburn Citizen (blog)
- Rep. Dan Maffei says he wants to hear from Central New York business owners - Syracuse.com
- Rep. Dan Maffei releases Central New York business survey; looking for ... - Auburn Citizen (blog)
- Rep. Dan Maffei asks for Justice Department investigation in David Renz murder ... - Syracuse.com
- Eye on NY: Rep. Dan Maffei draws more attention to Tubman parks bill with ... - Auburn Citizen (blog)
- Rep. Dan Maffei invites President Obama to visit Harriet Tubman home in Auburn - Syracuse.com
- Obama Lays Out Counterterrorism Strategy; Weiner's 1st Day on the Trail; Jo ... - Yahoo! News
- Ann Marie Buerkle will be nominated to US Consumer Product Safety Commission - Syracuse.com
- Reps. Dan Maffei, Bill Owens condemn IRS for targeting tea party groups - Syracuse.com (blog)
- Republicans enlist Star Wars characters in epic battle against Rep. Dan Maffei - Syracuse.com
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- ↑ The New York Times, "Election brings seasoned politicians to congress," December 8, 2012
- ↑ The Washington Post, "Political comeback kids to take seats again in the House," November 18, 2012
- ↑ Campaign website "bio"
- ↑ CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- ↑ Campaign website "Issues"
- ↑ A Line of Sight "2010 House Dem Voting Report"
- ↑ Washington Post "U.S. Congress Votes Database, 111th Congress"
- ↑ US House Clerk "Roll Call 46," January 28, 2009
- ↑ Rasmussen "38% Say Stimulus Plan Helped Economy, 36% Say It Hurt," August 24, 2010
- ↑ US House Clerk "Roll Call 314," June 9, 2009
- ↑ Rasmussen "54% Oppose “Cash for Clunkers” Plan To Spur Purchase of Greener Cars," June 23, 2009
- ↑ US House Clerk "Roll Call 477," June 26, 2009
- ↑ Rasmussen "42% Say Climate Change Bill Will Hurt The Economy," June 30, 2009
- ↑ US House Clerk "Roll Call 165," March 21, 2010
- ↑ Rasmussen "61% Favor Repeal of Health Care Law," September 20, 2010
- ↑ Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- ↑ AP/CSPAN "New York-Summary Vote Report," June 26, 2012
- ↑ Politico "2012 Election Map, New York"
- ↑ U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- ↑ U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"
- ↑ Open Secrets "Fundraising for Dan Maffei" March 2013
- ↑ Open Secrets "Dan Maffei 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed February 26, 2013
- ↑ GovTrack, "Dan Maffei" Accessed April 2013
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org "Dan Maffei (D-NY), 2011," accessed February 19, 2013
Richard L. Hanna
|U.S. House of Representatives - New York District 24
| Succeeded by|
|U.S. House of Representatives - New York District 25
| Succeeded by|
Ann Marie Buerkle
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |
Freedom of Information Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of Towns |
List of School Districts |