Dane County RTA Sales Tax Increase (November 2010)
This measure asked for a $.50 sales tax increase to further fund the Dane County Regional Transport Authority. The measure was also asked in other cities and towns in the RTA area, but not given to a county wide vote since the RTA area does not cover the entire county.
The county supervisor expressed his delight with having so many areas in the county put this advisory question on their ballots. 45 municipalities have now added this measure to their local ballots in the area. Due to this being an advisory question only, some saw it as a waste of space, a measure that does not really take in to account the will of the people. Though others saw it as a way for county officials to find out what people feel on the issue.
Some wondered why the question was even asked since the measure was only advisory. The tax would not be implemented if this measure had been approved, it has only been discussed by authorities. It was noted that they just wanted to get insight into what residents thought about the idea, if they wanted to support regional rail services. Rail authorities note that there still would be another vote if it is decided to implement a sales tax to support these services.
- The Daily Page, "McDonell on rail referendum: Vote yes, vote no, don't vote," October 28, 2010
- The Cap Times, "To boost employment, approve MATC referendum," October 15, 2010
- Wisconsin State Journal "Voters say no in advisory referendum on commuter rail; medical marijuana receives support," November 3, 2010
- Verona Press, "Town puts RTA question on Nov. ballot; city considers the same," August 23, 2010
- The Daily Page, "Dane County rail referendum refuseniks," September 16, 2010
- Wisconsin State Journal, "Commuter rail referendum: Politics or a chance to be heard?," September 20, 2010
- Channel 3000, "Some Question Relevancy Of Tuesday's Rail Referendum," November 1, 2010