Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Arizona House of Representatives District 13|
|January 7, 2013-Present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Per diem||$35/day for the first 120 days of regular session and for special sessions and $10/day thereafter.|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Arizona State University|
|Profession||Owner, Landmark Home Inspections Incorporated|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Mitchell served on the following committees:
|Arizona Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture and Water|
|• Financial Institutions|
|• Public Safety, Military and Regulatory Affairs, Vice Chair|
Mitchell's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Securing Our Borders
- Excerpt: "Like most Arizona voters, I recognize that illegal immigration, and ineffective border enforcement is costing our state plenty. It’s just not fair to Arizona Tax Payers, or those who are waiting in line to legally immigrate. Not to mention, the opportunity for terrorists and drug runners to infiltrate our state."
- Collective Bargaining Rights for Public Unions
- Excerpt: "I will enthusiastically endorse any measure to outlaw collective bargaining rights for Public Employee Unions. I emphatically believe the current cozy arrangement of quid pro quo between elected politicians and the Public Employee Unions (who help elect them) is corrupt and is costing Arizona taxpayers millions of dollars every year."
- Child Protective Services
- Excerpt: "The Agency charged with protecting Arizona’s at-risk-children has been a disappointing failure. Under the best of circumstances, life can be tough. Imagine what these kids have gone through before making their way to CPS. We simply have to do better. "
- Excerpt: "Okay, I am just going to say it…our public education system will not be fundamentally improved until the teacher unions are removed from the reform process. They are a big part of the problem and have little to do with the solution! I believe education instruction methodology needs to be revolutionized. In addition, we should enthusiastically embrace the idea of allowing qualified, professionals into the classroom as instructors."
- Arizona’s Economy
- Excerpt: "Our state governments’ job is to create a tax and regulatory environment that allows businesses to thrive and expand and create jobs for our citizens. We must lower the capital gains tax to encourage local investments as well as make serious efforts to (eventually) eliminate the Arizona income tax and replace it with a state sales tax."
Mitchell won election in the 2012 election for Arizona House of Representatives District 13. He and incumbent Steve Montenegro defeated incumbent Russ Jones in the August 28, 2012, Republican primary. He won the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 13 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Steve Montenegro Incumbent||39.1%||10,189|
|Russ Jones Incumbent||28%||7,294|
Mitchell's residency was at the heart of a legal challenge launched in September 2012 when Rep. Russ Jones, who lost to Mitchell in the August primary election, argued Mitchell should be removed from the ballot because he lives outside District 13.
On September 21, 2012 the Arizona Supreme Court reinstated Mitchell's name appearing on the ballot. He allegedly gave elections officials different addresses on different documents prompting a Maricopa County Superior Court judge to determine that he lived outside District 13, leading to an emergency request to the state Court of Appeals to block the trial court decision. The Arizona Supreme Court decision denied the request to reverse the Appeals Court ruling, guaranteeing that Mitchell will appear on the general election ballot.
Mitchell received endorsements from:
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Darin + Mitchell + Arizona + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Nate Causey grand slam leads ASU baseball to dramatic win over California - Arizona Republic
- Yuma summit examines water issues - Yuma Sun
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ Campaign website, Issues
- ↑ Arizona Secretary of State - Primary candidate list
- ↑ Arizona Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Arizona Central "Darin Mitchell faces smooth road to House in Dist. 13 after legal bump" Accessed September 23, 2012
- ↑ Darin Mitchell for Arizona "About Darin Mitchell" Accessed September 21, 2012