For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Texas State Senate, District 9|
|Bachelor's||East Texas State University, 1972|
|Master's||University of Texas at Arlington, 1976|
McElwee's professional experience includes working as a secondary and adult education teacher for 21 years. He also served with a military career of 24 years.
McElwee earned his B.A. in political science and economics from East Texas State University (now Texas A&M Commerce) in 1972 and his M.A. in political science and economics from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1976.
McElwee is affiliated with following organizations; President, Tarrant Alliance for Responsible Government; past president, Davis Preservation Organization, Secretary, South Davis Elementary Dad's Club; past president, Highland Park branch, Texas State Teacher's Association, served on city of Arlington Future's Committee; served on Arlington Independent School District (AISD) Financial Future's Committee, served on the board of directors, South Davis Neighborhood Association.
McElwee's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- "Fund and encourage the public school systems and community colleges to promote vocational, technical, and trade-skill certifications."
- "Shift education in Texas from a politically-driven system to a market-driven enterprise."
- "Reorganize the State Legislature to make it more financially responsible and user-friendly for citizens."
- "Continue efforts to reform the Texas criminal justice system."
- "Protect private property rights and end eminent domain abuse by making property owners stakeholders."
- "End the use of the death penatly within the state of Texas."
- "Adopt a choice-driven, practioner-based voucher system that also permits families to exercise an institutional approach option for education."
- "Abolish the current bicameral legislative system and adopt a unicameral legislative system."
- "Create a high-level commission of the best minds available in the fields of medicine, psychology, law enforcement, drug and alcohol addition, the clergy, educators, charged with creating a ""best practices"" list of ways of addressing these major public concerns. List would then be submitted to the State Legislature for debate, consideration and action. Action would include passing the appropriate enabling legislation."
- See also: Texas State Senate elections, 2012
McElwee ran in the 2012 election for Texas State Senate, District 9. McElwee ran unopposed in the May 29 primary election and was defeated by Kelly Hancock (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas State Senate, District 9, General Election, 2012|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Dave + McElwee + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart