|Minnesota State Senate District 58|
|2011 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||University of North Dakota|
|J.D.||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||October 2, 1961|
Thompson is a practicing attorney, focusing his practice on small business work, contracts, estate planning and litigation. Dave also has experience on radio and TV, hosting The Dave Thompson Show on AM 1500 for seven and a half years, and participating in a debate segment on At Issue with Tom Hauser, an Emmy Award winning news program.
Thompson graduated from the University of North Dakota with double majors in Economics and Political Science. He earned his law degree from the University Of Minnesota Law School in 1987.
Thompson's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Jobs and Business
- Excerpt:"Like everyone, I am concerned about high unemployment and the pressure this puts on families. Good jobs are provided by thriving businesses."
- Excerpt:"Taxes are a necessary evil. The revenues are used to fund public goods. However, taxes are a drag on the economy. Therefore taxes should be as low as possible, and tax laws should be straightforward and easy to understand."
- Excerpt:"I am and always have been staunchly pro life. Society must protect its most vulnerable members. It is horrifying to think of the number of people who have been killed in the name of privacy rights. I believe in the traditional definition of family."
- Excerpt:"Education policy should be set at the local level. Parents, family members, friends and neighbors are in the best position to determine what is best for their children. I am a strong supporter of home schooling and private education as well."
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Thompson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• State and Local Government|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Thompson served on these committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Commerce and Consumer Protection|
|• Judiciary and Public Safety|
|• State Government Innovation and Veterans|
- See also: Minnesota gubernatorial election, 2014
In March 2013, Thompson confirmed that he was weighing a potential bid for Governor of Minnesota in 2014, and said to expect a final decision in the coming weeks. Thompson would be running as a challenger to incumbent Gov. Mark Dayton, a Democrat first elected in 2010.
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
|Minnesota State Senate, District 58, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dave Thompson Incumbent||57.7%||24,097|
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2010
|Minnesota State Senate, District 36 (2010)|
|Dave Thompson (R)||23426||63.05%|
|Steve Quist (DFL)||13686||36.84%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Thompson raised $41,199 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|Senate District 36 Republican Party Of Minnesota||$3,000|
|Pariseau For Senate Cmte||$1,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Dave + Thompson + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Thompson: Everyone Pays More Under DFL Tax and Budget Plan - Patch.com
- Lawmakers pump $485 million more into schools - Republican Eagle
- Dayton's approval ratings slip in poll, but he still has big leads over GOP ... - Pioneer Press
- Democrats, Republicans push their take on the legislative session - Minnesota Public Radio
- MN Senate to ponder pay raise amendment - Minnesota Public Radio
- Dayton vetoes two controversial items in Legacy projects bill - MinnPost.com
- Legacy bill survives ... bruised and battered - MinnPost.com
- Legislature adjourns as tax bill closes $627 million state budget deficit - Coon Rapids Herald
- GOP gubernatorial hopefuls won't try to repeal marriage law - Minnesota Public Radio
- Dayton: Use Cigarette, Corporate Taxes For Stadium - CBS Local
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Thompson and his wife Rhonda have two children.
- Campaign site
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010
- Facebook profile
- ↑ "davethompsonforsenate," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Minnesota Post, "State Sen. Dave Thompson supports Santorum," February 7, 2012
- ↑ Sun This Week, "Lakeville Sen. Dave Thompson considers run for governor," March 19, 2013
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 22, 2012
- ↑ Secretary of State Official general election results
- ↑ 2010 contributions
Linda Higgins (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 58
| Succeeded by|
Patricia Pariseau (DFL)
|Minnesota State Senate District 36
| Succeeded by|
John Hoffman (R)