Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia State Senate District 10|
|High school||Petersburg High School, 1968|
|Place of birth||Petersburg, VA|
Bernard earned his bachelor's degree in International Studies from American University. He has worked as a plumber since 1985.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2015
Elections for the office of Virginia State Senate will take place in 2015. A primary election will be held on June 9, 2015, and the general election November 3, 2015. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 9, 2015.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Bernard ran in the 2011 election for Virginia Senate District 10. He was uncontested in the August 23 primary and was defeated by incumbent Republican John Watkins in the November 8 general election.Cite error: Closing
</ref> missing for
|Virginia State Senate, District 10 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||John Watkins Incumbent||56.6%||18,496|
Bernard's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Transportation and Sprawl
- Excerpt: "The Richmond region and Virginia need sensible transportation solutions. I pledge to work closely with local government planners, business and civic groups, VDOT, VDRPT, and all citizens to improve our existing systems to cut traffic jams, repair and improve roads and bridges in a timely manner, and increase alternatives to automobiles."
- Virginia Energy Policy
- Excerpt: "Reducing fossil fuel and nuclear dependency is the best way for the Richmond region to cut its energy costs."
- ABC Privatization
- Excerpt: "I oppose selling off the Commonwealth's ABC stores. The system has worked well for a long time. The ABC provides important revenue to the state. Pricing and availability issues can be handled inhouse."
- Virginia Coal Policy
- Excerpt: "Virginia has a large coal industry and in fact America’s first coal extraction began in the heart of the 10th District in colonial times. Yet depending on coal for future energy needs is not a responsible policy, and it is imperative that we reduce our need for coal fuel."
- Virginia Waters
- Excerpt: "The livelihood and recreation of many Virginians depends on the Bay. Protecting the Chesapeake Bay and all Virginia waters is vital to our future."
- Vision for Richmond: A World Class City & Suburbs
- Excerpt: "Just as the James River was the logical place to begin the English settlement leading to the founding of our nation, so our unique place, friendly hard-working people, and tradition of entrepreneurial excellence can lead the way to bringing full employment, successful innovation, opportunities to grow wealth, healthy lifestyles, and the full range of cultural and recreational enjoyment."
- Civil Liberties & Law Enforcement
- Excerpt: "I believe in individual rights and civil liberties. If no one is being harmed then a law is probably not necessary. "
- Gun Rights
- Excerpt: "I agree with and support the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms. This amendment was added to make sure the government could not prohibit gun ownership."