David Cruz Thayne
|David Cruz Thayne|
|U.S. House, California, District 26|
|Birthday||March 10, 1971|
|Place of birth||Manchester, NH|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Thayne is a former professional tennis player and small businessman. He formerly served as chief of staff and campaign manager to Utah State Senate Minority Leader Scott Howell, a Democrat. After serving as Howell’s Chief of Staff over the next two legislative sessions, Thayne became campaign manager for Steven B. Wall, a Salt Lake Attorney running as a Democrat in Utah’s 9th State Senate District. He currently operates his own tennis-oriented small business and has also created two documentaries about tennis.
Thayne's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Get our Economy Moving Again
- Excerpt: "People are hurting. Nearly one in 10 Americans cannot find work, and that does not include countless others who are underemployed or have stopped looking for a job. Though America’s working class did not precipitate the financial crisis, they have had to bear its most brutal consequences."
- Fix our Public Education System for Our Kids
- Excerpt: "My father taught high school Spanish and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. As a result, I have seen the countless hours of unrecognized work performed by our teachers. Yet, no one would agree that the status quo is acceptable."
- Preserve our Environment
- Excerpt: "A healthy environment means protecting our precious natural resources and creating sustainable urban communities. We cannot afford to think small and succumb to political pettiness because our reliance on oil is a threat both to America’s security and our planet."
- Stop Washington Corruption and Restore Trust
- Excerpt: "Our lawmakers are surrounded and outnumbered by lobbyists in Washington 5-1. This system has led to a corruption of our politics; a series of favors and legislative loopholes. Most likely, we cannot totally erase corruption but we can make it more difficult."
- Show Some Fiscal Responsibility
- Excerpt: "The debt crisis has been decades in the making. Instead of responsible leaders wisely spending taxpayer dollars in the best interest of the country, we had zealous partisans maneuvering dollars for political advantage – whether to fund favored programs or finance tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans."
On August 18, 2011, Thayne announced his candidacy for Southern California’s newly drawn 26th Congressional District.Two weeks before officially declaring his candidacy, Thayne added political consultant Garry South, named the “Carville of California” by the New York Times, to his campaign team as chief strategist.
Thayne and his wife, Katie, have four children.
- "Business Buzz," Malibu Times, February 4, 2009
- "Malibu RC, Zaino, Team Up to Give Club 3 Slam Surfaces," Inside Tennis Magazine, February 19th, 2009
- Deseret News, "Democrats, Women Make Strides in the Utah Senate," November 4, 1998
- Campaign website, Priorities
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed March 13, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Unofficial election results," November 6, 2012
- david_cruz_thayne_press_release Accessed October 8, 2011
- Washington Post, "Incumbents Lose, Democrats Win with California Redistricting Proposal," June 10, 2011
- Davidcruzthayne2012.com, "David Cruz Thayne for Congress 2012 California Congressional District 26," August 15, 2011
- Garry South Group, "Bio of Garry South," accessed October 8, 2011
- Biography of David Cruz Thayne