|Colorado House of Representatives District 29|
| Term in office began|
| Term in office ended|
Benefield has worked as a financial manager, Executive Director of the North Jefferson County Swim Team, and is a small business owner.
Benefield did not provide answers to the Colorado State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Colorado Senate Bill 57
As a member of the Colorado House Education Committee, Benefield voted against Colorado Senate Bill 57, also known as the Public School Financial Transparency Act, a bill to create transparency in state education expenditures. Benefield received substantial campaign contributions from the Colorado Education Association and Jefferson County Education Association, both of which lobbied against the bill's passage.
Benefield's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 09-1065 - Educator Identifier Pilot Program
- HB 09-1107 - HOA Limits On Energy Efficiency Measures
- HB 09-1342 - Eliminate Cigarette Sales Tax Exemption
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
Benefield ran for re-election to the 29th District seat in 2010. She had no opposition in the August 10 primary. Benefield was defeated by Robert Ramirez (R) in the November 2 general election.
|Colorado House of Representatives, District 29 General election (2010)|
|Robert Ramirez (R)||12,738|
|Debbie Benefield (D)||12,541|
Benefield raised $78,870 for her campaign, while Arnold raised $1,501.
|Colorado State House, District 29 (2008)|
|Debbie Benefield (D)||19,109|
|Mary Arnold (R)||13,692|
Below are Benefield's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|CO Democratic Party House Majority Project||$16,400|
|Jefferson County Education Assoc||$4,450|
|Food & Commercial Workers Local 7||$4,250|
|CO Professional Fire Fighters||$4,000|
- Debbie Benefield's personal website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2002
- Debbie Benefield on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Benefield
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Benefield Issue Positions
- Independence Institute blog, The House Education Committee, March 18, 2009
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2008 General election results," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Funds raised by 2008 House candidates," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Colorado House District 29
| Succeeded by|