Delaware Secretary of Education
|Delaware Secretary of Education|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$35,760,000|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the governor|
|Authority:||Delaware Code, 14-1-102|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||June 1, 2012|
|Other Delaware Executive Offices|
|Governor•Lieutenant Governor•Secretary of State•Attorney General•Treasurer•Auditor•Secretary of Education•Agriculture Secretary•Insurance Commissioner•Natural Resources Secretary•Labor Secretary•Public Service Commission|
The office of secretary is established by state law.
Delaware Code, 14-1-102
|(a) The administrator and head of the Department shall be the Secretary of Education...|
The secretary must have five years of cumulative experience in teaching and administration. Additionally, he must become a "bona fide resident" of the state within 6 months of appointment.
Delaware Code, 14-1-102
|The administrator and head of the Department shall be the Secretary of Education, who shall be a graduate of an accredited college and shall have not less than 5 years' experience in teaching and administration, with experience in each such category.|
Delaware Code, 14-1-103
|The Secretary of Education shall become a bona fide resident of the State within 6 months after the Secretary's appointment; provided, however, that upon good cause shown, the Governor may grant an additional extension of 6 months.|
There are no term limits associated with the office of secretary of education.
In case of a vacancy, the governor appoints either the deputy secretary or associate secretary as acting secretary until he selects a new permanent officeholder. The acting secretary has all the powers and duties of a permanent secretary.
The secretary is the administrative head of the Delaware Department of Education, and is responsible for implementing the policies and regulations made by the state Board of Education. State law empowers the secretary to appoint and fix the salary of his subordinates, establish and change the department's subdivisions, and perform other administrative duties.
- Teaching & Learning
- Financial Reform & Resource Management
- College & Workforce Readiness
- Delivery Unit
- Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Unit
- School Turnaround Unit
The budget for the Department of Education in the Fiscal Year 2013 was $35,760,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2010, the secretary received compensation in the amount of $151,565. The secretary's wages are determined by law.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Delaware + "Secretary of Education" + Murphy
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Higher bar set for education in Delaware - The News Journal
- Charter school reform bill passes House after lengthy debate - WDDE 91.1 FM
- House panel OKs charter school reform bill - newszap.com
- Mark Levin blasts 'transgendering' 'snaggletooth' 'troll' Michael Savage - Daily Caller
- Fireworks between Brit Hume, Juan Williams over Holder's role in FNC-Rosen ... - Daily Caller
- 'The House That Rob Built': Special Forces Combat Outpost Pirelli, part 1 - Daily Caller
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
John G. Townsend Building
401 Federal St.
Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 735-4000
Fax:: (302) 739-4654
- ↑ WDDE, "Murphy sworn in as Delaware Secretary of Education," June 1, 2012
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Delaware Code, "14-1-102," accessed August 11, 2011.
- ↑ Delaware Code, "14-1-102," accessed August 11, 2011.
- ↑ Delaware Office of Management and Budget," Budget Development, Planning and Administration - Fiscal Year 2013 Operating and Capital Budget Information," accessed May 28, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2010 -- Table 4.11," accessed August 11, 2011.