Delaware takes up issue of gay marriage
DOVER, Delaware: Delaware became the latest state to take action to extend marriage rights to gay and lesbian couples, with the announcement from Governor Jack Markell of a bill to legalize same-sex marriage. Three other states, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Illinois, are also considering bills on same-sex marriage, while nine states and the District of Columbia have already legalized gay marriage.
The nine states and the District of Columbia that already allow same-sex marriage include: Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and Washington. However, same-sex couples from those states are denied full benefits of federal marriage because of the Defense of Marriage Act, the Clinton-era federal law that defines marriage as a union between one and one woman.
Markell commented that while he was confident the bill would pass, given that the Democratic Party controls both the upper and lower chambers of the legislature, "nothing is sure until it's done," and added "What we know is same-sex couples want to get married for the same reason that other couples want to get married."
Markell announced the legislation at a press conference on April 11, where he was joined by state Senate President Pro Tempore Patricia Blevins, House Speaker Pete Schwartzkopf and Attorney General Beau Biden.
Republican state Senator Brian Pettyjohn said he believed Delaware's civil union law, which was approved before he took office, went gone far enough and has been a fair compromise, ensuring that gay and straight couples are treated equally while reserving marriage for heterosexual couples.
- News: News Journal, "Markell on gay marriage: 'It can happen here in Delaware"
- News: Reuters, "Delaware becomes latest state to take up gay marriage"
- News: Columbus Dispatch, "Delaware Governor announces push to recognize gay marriage"
- News: Advocate, "Delaware Governor on Marriage Equality: 'It Can Happen This Year"
- News: Advocate, "Delaware Unveils Marriage Equality Bill"
- Reuters, "Delaware becomes latest state to take up gay marriage" accessed April 13, 2013
- News Journal, "Markell on gay marriage: 'It can happen here in Delaware" accessed April 14. 2013
- Columbus Dispatch, "Delaware Governor announces push to recognize gay marriage" accessed April 13, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid