|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|2008 - Present|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||Two terms in a 16-year period|
|High school||Browning High School (1985)|
|Bachelor's||Montana State University-Bozeman (1993)|
|Master's||Harvard Graduate School of Education (1994)|
|J.D.||University of Montana-Missoula (2004)|
|Birthday||April 5, 1967|
|Place of birth||Oakland, California|
She won re-election in 2012.
A January 2013 article in Governing named Juneau as one of the top state Democratic officials to watch in 2013.
An attorney by profession, Juneau has been a teacher on the Fort Berthold Reservation in North Dakota and at Browning High School. She has also been court clerk to Montana Supreme Court Justices Jim Regnier and Brian Morris, and served as Director of Indian Education in the Montana Office of Public Instruction. She is a member of the Mandan and Hidatsa tribes.
- J.D., University of Montana-Missoula, 2004
- MEd, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 1994
- B.A., English, Montana State University-Bozeman, 1993
Superintendent of Public Instruction (2009-Present)
U.S. Senate, 2014
Juneau won re-election as Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2012. She was unopposed in the June 5 Democratic primary and faced Republican Sandy Welch in the general election on November 6, 2012. With 100% of unofficial results in, Juneau claimed victory, but Welch did not concede and ultimately filed for a recount on December 3. However, after it was ordered by a judge, Welch abandoned the recount due to the cost.
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Denise Juneau Incumbent||50.2%||235,397|
|Election Results via Montana Secretary of State.|
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Election Results Via:Montana Secretary of State.|
Juneau said she is committed to reducing Montana's school dropout rate, supports anti-bullying measures, and seeks to assist struggling schools.
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction, 2008|
|Republican||Elaine Sollie Herman||43.7%||201,091|
Comprehensive donor information for Juneau is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Juneau raised a total of $338,270 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 18, 2013.
Juneau won re-election to the position of Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2012. During that election cycle, Juneau raised a total of $186,861.
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Denise Juneau's campaign in 2012|
|United Transportation Union||$620|
|Total Raised in 2012||$186,861|
|Total Votes received in 2012||235,397|
|Cost of each vote received||$0.79|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Denise Juneau's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Denise Juneau's Campaign Contributions|
Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$91,294 (Rep.)|
|Top 5 contributors||Montana Democratic Party||$13,840|
|Christina M. Bruner||$620|
|11 additional donors||$620|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Denise + Juneau + Montana + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Superintendent of Schools
- Montana school districts
- Montana Department of Education
- Montana Office of Public Instruction
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Official campaign website
- Denise Juneau on Twitter
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008
- Denise Juneau campaign website
- Governing, "State Democratic Officials to Watch in 2013," accessed January 25, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Denise Juneau - biography," accessed December 24, 2011
- Montana Office of Public Instruction, "Biography of the Denise Juneau," accessed December 24, 2011
- Politico, "Brian Schweitzer move aids GOP in battle for Senate," July 13,2013
- Billings Gazette, "Many Montanans scoping out 2012 political races ," June 12, 2011
- Great Falls Tribune, "Juneau unofficial winner; Welch not conceding defeat in close OPI race," November 14, 2012
- KXLH, "Welch will ask for recount in OPI race against Juneau," November 9, 2012
- Daily Inter Lake, "Candidate files request for recount in court," December 3, 2012
- Missoulian, "Welch drops request for recount in school superintendent race," December 11, 2012
- Char-Koosta News, "Denise Juneau hits the campaign trail for re-election," August 16, 2012
- Graduation Matters Montana, "About," accessed August 21, 2012
- Montana Secretary of State, "November 4, 2008 general election results," accessed December 17, 2011
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Denise Juneau," accessed July 18, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
|Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction
| Succeeded by|