|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 54B|
|2003 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||11|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 5, 2002|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||September 29, 1952|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
McNamara earned his B.S. in Business Administration from the Carlson School of Business at the University of Minnesota. His professional experience includes working as a landscape contractor with Hoffman and McNamara Nursery and Landscape.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McNamara served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment and Natural Resources Policy|
|• Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Finance|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, McNamara served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Policy and Finance, Chair|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, McNamara served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Environment Policy and Oversight|
|• Ways and Means|
McNamara's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Denny also realizes that any tax increase would likely cause more businesses to close or lay off more employees, which is why he's opposed more than $4 billion in proposed tax hikes at the State Capitol over the past two years."
Economy And Government Spending
- Excerpt: "For the past ten years, Denny has fought to prioritize state government spending and opposed outlandish tax increase proposals. With a state budget deficit looming, you can bet there will be an outcry from many lawmakers next year to raise taxes in order to increase government spending. And when that happens, you can count on Denny to shoot them down."
- Excerpt: "Conserving our natural resources is about providing long-term protection of our environment. Denny will continue to promote conservation efforts and find new ways to keep our water, air, and land clean."
- Excerpt: "Denny believes every child deserves a quality education focused on the basics of reading, writing, science and math. He also understands that a student is a student no matter where they live, which is why he has also worked toward providing our schools with equal funding with those in the inner cities."
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on August 12, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014.
McNamara won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 54B. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated Joanna Bayers (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 54B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Denny McNamara Incumbent||57.5%||12,493|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 57B (2010)|
|David Page (DFL)||5,726||34.44%|
|Denny McNamara (R)||10,885||65,47%|
McNamara raised $57,069 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 57B (2008)|
|Denny McNamara (R)||13,102||57.19%|
|Rod Van Vleet (DFL)||9,770||42.65%|
Comprehensive donor information for McNamara is available dating back to 2002. Based on available campaign finance records, McNamara raised a total of $277,753 during that time period. This information was last updated on December 13, 2013.
|Denny McNamara's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota House, District 54B||$35,177|
|2010||Minnesota House, District 57B||$43,431|
|2008||Minnesota House, District 57B||$57,069|
|2006||Minnesota House, District 57B||$53,264|
|2004||Minnesota House, District 57B||$52,795|
|2002||Minnesota House, District 57B||$36,017|
|Grand Total Raised||$277,753|
2012McNamara won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, McNamara raised a total of $39,271.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Denny McNamara's campaign in 2012|
|Saggau, David J.||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$39,271|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, McNamara received $43,431 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Denny McNamara's campaign in 2010|
|Avent, Sharon Lee||$500|
|Poepl, Marp P||$250|
|Total Raised in 2010||$43,431|
Listed below is the largest contributor to Denny McNamara's 2008 campaign.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
McNamara is married with two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Denny + McNamara + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2004, 2002
- Denny McNamara on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. McNamara
- "dennymcnamara," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "All Races by Legislative District," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money's report on McNamara's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "McNamara, Denny," accessed December 13, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Bev Scalze (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 54B
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 57B
| Succeeded by|
Anna Wills (R)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |