|North Carolina State Senate District 30|
|1995 - 2000, 2005 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2, 2004|
|Commissioner, Surry County|
|1984 – 1992|
|Birthday||December 26, 1944|
|Place of birth||Surry County, North Carolina|
East was Commissioner of Surry County from 1984 to 1992. He previously served in the North Carolina State Senate from 1995 to 2000; he was a candidate for the District 30 seat in 2002.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, East served on these committees:
- Agriculture/Environment/Natural Resources
- Appropriations/Base Budget
- Insurance Committee
- Judiciary II
- Program Evaluation
- State and Local Government
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, East served on these committees:
- Appropriations/Base Budget Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Finance Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Pensions & Retirement & Aging Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- State and Local Government Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Transportation Committee, North Carolina State Senate
|North Carolina State Senate, District 30, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Don East Incumbent||64.3%||49,417|
|North Carolina Senate, General Election Results, District 30 (2010)|
|Don East (R)||32,422||67.83%|
|Richard Marshall (D)||15,376||32.17%|
East defeated primary challenger Paul M. Johnson on May 4, 2010.
In 2010, East collected $49,461 in donations.
|North Carolina House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Don East's campaign in 2010|
|Don W East||$50,000|
|North Carolina Association Of Realtors||$3,000|
|Surry County Republican Party||$2,500|
|North Carolina Association Of Electric Cooperatives||$2,150|
|Total Raised in 2010||$49,461|
In 2008, East collected $13,150 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|North Carolina Home Builders Association||$1,000|
|North Carolina Association of Realtors||$1,000|
East received his High School Diploma in 1962. He then attended Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice at Forsyth Technical Community College in 1964.
East was a retired Police Officer and small farm owner.
East is survived by his wife Connie and one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Don + East + North Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Obama Approval Remains Steady: Poll - Huffington Post - Huffington Post
- Jonny Dymond BBC News, Moore - BBC News
- Letter: Stop wasting money in Obamacare fight - The Advocate
- Billionaires Unchained: America is a Democracy of the Wealthy - Center for Research on Globalization
- The School Board has its work cut out for it - Beaufort Observer - Beaufort Observer
- Immigration Fund hires Holland & Knight - Fight for Natural Resources slot ... - Politico (blog)
- Haslam Cautions Fellow Republicans at Lincoln Day Dinner - Memphis Flyer
- Charlotte looks to airport rail yard as engine for growth - Charlotte Observer
- Obama exhorts good deeds by Morehouse graduates - WNCT
- Democrats' Senate Campaigns Marked By Internal Wrangling - Huffington Post - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1996
- Senator East State Surge
- Senator East's facebook
|North Carolina State Senate District 30
| Succeeded by|
Shirley Randleman (R)