For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|North Carolina State Senate District 30|
|1995 - 2000, 2005 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2, 2004|
|Commissioner, Surry County|
|1984 – 1992|
|Date of birth||December 26, 1944|
|Place of birth||Surry County, North Carolina|
East was Commissioner of Surry County from 1984 to 1992. He previously served in the North Carolina State Senate from 1995 to 2000; he was a candidate for the District 30 seat in 2002.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, East served on these committees:
- Agriculture/Environment/Natural Resources
- Appropriations/Base Budget
- Insurance Committee
- Judiciary II
- Program Evaluation
- State and Local Government
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, East served on these committees:
- Appropriations/Base Budget Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Finance Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Pensions & Retirement & Aging Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- State and Local Government Committee, North Carolina State Senate
- Transportation Committee, North Carolina State Senate
|North Carolina State Senate, District 30, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Don East Incumbent||64.3%||49,417|
|North Carolina Senate, General Election Results, District 30 (2010)|
|Don East (R)||32,422||67.83%|
|Richard Marshall (D)||15,376||32.17%|
East defeated primary challenger Paul M. Johnson on May 4, 2010.
In 2010, East collected $49,461 in donations.
|North Carolina House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Don East's campaign in 2010|
|Don W East||$50,000|
|North Carolina Association Of Realtors||$3,000|
|Surry County Republican Party||$2,500|
|North Carolina Association Of Electric Cooperatives||$2,150|
|Total Raised in 2010||$49,461|
In 2008, East collected $13,150 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|North Carolina Home Builders Association||$1,000|
|North Carolina Association of Realtors||$1,000|
East received his High School Diploma in 1962. He then attended Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice at Forsyth Technical Community College in 1964.
East was a retired Police Officer and small farm owner.
East is survived by his wife Connie and one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Don + East + North Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998, 1996
- Senator East State Surge
- Senator East's facebook
- Wsoctv.com, "NC GOP state Sen. Don East dies at age 67," accessed October 29, 2012 (dead link)
- North Carolina Board of Elections, "Candidate lists," accessed March 12, 2012
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2010 Primary Election Results," accessed August 14, 2014
- 2008 election results, North Carolina Senate
- Follow the Money, "2010 campaign contributions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 campaign contributions," accessed December 18, 2014
|North Carolina State Senate District 30
| Succeeded by|
Shirley Randleman (R)