Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|22nd Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Past position:||Partner, Bishop and Shelton, P.C.|
|Undergraduate:||Western Michigan University, 1966|
|Law School:||University of Michigan School of Law, 1969|
|Grad. School:||Eastern Michigan University (M.A., 2007); University of Nevada (Ph.D., 2010)|
Donald E. Shelton was a judge for the 22nd Circuit Court in Washtenaw County, Michigan. He served as a judge for the court from February 1990 until his retirement from the bench on September 1, 2014. Shelton served as the court's chief judge from 2010 to 2013 and also served as the chief judge for the Washtenaw County Probate Court and as the presiding judge for the juvenile court.
Shelton received his B.A. degree in social science from Western Michigan University in 1966 and his J.D. degree from the University of Michigan School of Law in 1969. He went on to earn a master's degree in criminology and criminal justice from Eastern Michigan University in 2007 and a Ph.D. in judicial studies from the University of Nevada in 2010.
Shelton began his career in 1970 as a staff attorney for the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, 3rd Infantry Division in Germany. He then served as an attorney for the litigation division of the U.S. Army in Washington, D.C. from 1973 to 1974. Afterwards, Shelton returned to Michigan where he was a partner in the Ann Arbor firms of Forsythe, Campbell, Vandenberg, Clevenger & Bishop (from 1974 to 1978) and Bishop and Shelton, P.C. (from 1978 to 1990). He became a circuit court judge in February 1990. In addition to his legal career, Shelton also served in the City of Saline, Michigan as a council member (1976-1978), mayor pro tem (1977-1978), and mayor (1978-1986). He has also taught as adjunct faculty for Eastern Michigan University since 1997.
While on the 22nd Circuit Court bench, he served as chief judge pro tem from 1992 to 1996 and from 2004 to 2009. He was the presiding judge of the Civil/Criminal Division from 1997 to 2009. He also served on the Washtenaw County Probate Court as chief judge pro tem (2004-2009) and chief judge (since 2010) and served as the supervising judge of the Juvenile Court from 2001 until his retirement in 2014.
- Washtenaw County Trial Court, "The Honorable Donald E. Shelton"
- Selected Works of Donald E. Shelton, "A Study of Juror Expectations and Demands Concerning Scientific Evidence: Does the “CSI Effect” Exist?"
- Michigan Courts, "Washtenaw County," accessed July 8, 2014
- Washtenaw County Trial Court, "Biography of Donald E. Shelton"
- Washtenaw County Trial Court, "Resume of Hon. Donald Shelton," accessed July 8, 2014
- Michigan Department of State, "2008 Election Results: 22nd Circuit Court," accessed October 2, 2014
- List of Michigan Circuit Courts
- Heritage.com, "Washtenaw County: Judge Donald Shelton to retire in September, become director of U-M Dearborn criminal justice program," April 12, 2014