|Arizona State Senate, District 20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 10|
Quelland ran in the 2012 election for Arizona State Senate District 20. He ran as an Independent candidate. Quelland was a Republican member of the Arizona House of Representatives, representing District 10 from 2009 to 2011. He previously served from 2003 to 2006.
Quelland is the owner of Bell Lawnmover and Thank-Q Rentals. He has also worked as an elementary and high school teacher.
ACEC votes to remove from office
On May 15, 2009, the Clean Elections Commission voted 4-1 to remove him from office, after determining that he spent $15,000 to hire a campaign consultant, but didn’t acknowledge this expenditure on his campaign reports. The Arizona Clean Elections Commission is the only such government agency in the country that is allowed to remove state legislators from office for campaign finance violations.
Qualland has filed a lawsuit contesting the agency's decision to remove him from office.
- Banking and Insurance Committee, Arizona House of Representatives (Vice Chair)
- Environment Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
- Water and Energy Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
Quelland's sponsored bills include:
- HB 2127 - legislators; voting required; salary loss
- HB 2130 - campaign finance reports; penalty
- HB 2191 - cellular telephones; use while driving
- HB 2400 - partial-birth abortions; definition
For a full listed of sponsored bills see the House website.
- See also: Arizona State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Arizona State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 26, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 28, 2014. Patty Kennedy was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Kimberly Yee was unopposed in the Republican primary. Kennedy will face Yee in the general election. Justin Henry (R) was disqualified from the ballot before the primary. Doug Quelland is running as an Independent candidate.
- See also: Arizona State Senate elections, 2012
|Arizona State Senate, District 20, General Election, 2012|
|Independent||Doug "Q" Quelland||12.1%||8,829|
Quelland ran for re-election to the 10th District seat in 2010. Quelland (4,005 votes) lost to incumbent Jim Weiers (6,670 votes) and challenger Kimberly Yee (6,359 votes) in the Republican primary on August 24. Weiers and Yee faced Democrats Aaron Jahneke and Jackie Thrasher in the November 2 general election.
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 10 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Jim Weiers (R)||6,670|
|Kimberly Yee (R)||6,359|
|Doug Quelland (R)||4,005|
|Bill Adams (R)||2,330|
On November 4, 2008, Quelland and Jim Weiers were elected to the 10th District Seat in the Alabama House of Representatives, defeating opponents Jackie Thrasher (D), Lamont Lovejoy (D), Scott Gibson (Lib), and Margarite Dale (Green).
Quelland raised $73,457 for the campaign, Weiers raised $216,779, Thrasher raised $64,300, Lovejoy raised $65,679, Gibson raised $0, and Dale raised $68,586.
|Arizona State House, District 10 (2008)|
|Doug Quelland (R)||22,656|
|Jim Weiers (R)||23,022|
|Jackie Thrasher (D)||22,103|
|Lamont Lovejoy (D)||18,709|
|Scott Gibson (Lib)||2,707|
|Margarite Dale (Green)||2,358|
Below are Quelland's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Willa E Key||$130|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Doug + Quelland + Arizona + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arizona State Legislature
- Arizona state legislative districts
- Arizona State Senate
- Arizona State Senate elections, 2014
- Profile from AZ Voter Guide
- Arizona State Legislature
- Arizona House of Representatives - Representative Doug Quelland
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Doug Quelland on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Quelland
- Ballot Access News, "Arizona legislator sues to retain seat"
- KSWT, "Lawmaker goes to court to contest ouster decision," August 6, 2009
- arizonadailyindependent.com, "Candidate challenges," June 12, 2014
- azcentral.com, "State Senate candidate falls one signature short of ballot," June 19, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed August 27, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election," May 28, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed September 11, 2014
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2010 Primary candidate list," accessed December 20, 2013
- Arizona Secretary of State Elections Division, "Independent Candidates" accessed September 5, 2012
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Official 2008 General election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Arizona House spending, 2008," accessed April 7, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Arizona State House District 10
| Succeeded by|