Eagle Forum was started in 1972, by Phyllis Schlafly. Schlafly is known for her opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment and the movement, Stop ERA, that she started.
Eagle Forum's president is Phyllis Schlafly and their first vice-president is Eunie Smith.
Eagle Forum lists their issues on their website. The following is an abbreviated list:
- "We oppose all encroachments against American sovereignty through United Nations treaties or conferences that try to impose global taxes, gun registration, energy restrictions, feminist goals, or regulation on our use of oceans."
- "We support establishing English as our official language."
- "We support immediate border security to stop the entry of illegal aliens, illegal drugs, women seeking to give birth to "anchor babies," Third World diseases, criminal gangs, and potential terrorists.We oppose all variations of amnesty and guest-worker visas. Our first task is to assimilate the millions of non-English-speaking foreignborn who are legal residents."
- "We support the private enterprise system and reject the false dogmas that tax-and-spend government or a global economy can solve our social and economic problems."
- "We support the sanctity of human life as a gift from our Creator, as proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence."
- "We support congressional action to curb the Imperial Judiciary by refusing to confirm activist judges and by withdrawing jurisdiction from the federal courts over areas where we don't trust them, such as the Pledge of Allegiance, the Ten Commandments, the Boy Scouts, and the definition of marriage."
- "We support the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, as guaranteed in the Second Amendment."
- "We support making elections honest by requiring positive identification for voters, cleaning up registration rolls, and enforcing ballot security."
- "We support constitutional amendments and federal and state legislation to protect the institution of marriage and the equally important roles of father and mother.We honor the fulltime homemaker and her rights in joint income tax returns."
- "We oppose the feminist goals of stereotyping men as a constant danger to women, while at the same time pushing women into military combat against foreign enemies."
- "Every child should be able to read by the end of the first grade and should be taught to read using phonics.We urge parents to teach their own children to read before they enter school. Reducing illiteracy is an Eagle Forum priority."
- "We oppose and deplore the dumbing down of the academic curriculum through fads such as Outcome-Based Education and courses in self-esteem, diversity, and multiculturalism."
- "We oppose liberal propaganda in the curriculum through global education and Political Correctness."
- "We support parents' rights to guide the education of their own children, to protect their children against immoral instruction and materials, and to home-school without oppressive government regulations.
- "Eagle Forum was a primary factor in passing the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment, and we strongly support its enforcement to protect children against psychological testing and mental-health screening without parental consent."
As of December 2, 2013, Eagle Forum has endorsed the following candidates in the 2014 election cycle:
- Kris Kobach, Kansas Secretary of State elections
- Bob Onder, Missouri State Senate elections, 2014
Eagle Forum endorsed several candidates in the 2012 election cycle. Here is an abbreviated list:
According to OpenSecrets.org, total contributions for the 2012 election cycle were $221,126.
Eagle Forum spent:
- $211,826 on contributions to candidates
- $3,500 on contributions to Leadership PACs
- $1,300 on contributions to parties
|Top 10 largest Eagle Forum recipients in 2012|
According to OpenSecrets.org, Eagle Forum discloses their donors. However, no donors contributed more than $1,000. As a result, no specific donors are identified.
According to OpenSecrets.org, Eagle Forum discloses their donors. However, no donors contributed more than $200. As a result, no specific industries are identified.
- Missouri Personhood Amendment (2010)
- Florida Personhood Amendment (2010)
- Nevada Personhood Amendment (2010)
- Montana Life Begins at Conception Initiative (2010)
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Eagle + Forum"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
- Eagle Forum.org, "About us," accessed November 30, 2013
- Eagle Forum, "Bio," accessed November 30, 2013
- Eagle Forum, "2014 endorsed candidates," accessed December 2, 2013
- Eagle Forum, "2012 election cycle," accessed December 2, 2013
- Opensecrets.org, "Eagle Forum," accessed December 2, 2013
- OpenSecrets, "Eagle Forum donors," accessed December 2, 2013
- OpenSecrets, "Eagle Forum industries," accessed December 2, 2013