The Education Committee is a standing committee of the South Carolina State Senate.
Per Section 19 (d) of the Senate Rules, committees of the South Carolina State Senate are assigned through self-selection by Senate members. For committee selection, the Clerk of the Senate will make a list of all Senate members in the order of length of service and the members with the longest continuous service will select first. This process will continue until all members are assigned. Committees are assigned at the start of the new session following the election of Senate members. The chairman of each standing committee will be the senior member of the majority party. If a vacancy were to occur in the chairmanship of a standing committee, then the next most senior member from the majority party would take over.
See rules: Rules of the Senate of South Carolina
||The Senate Education Committee considers legislation introduced on the subject of education policy for K-12 and higher education. The Standing Committees of the Senate shall be as follows and shall have jurisdiction over legislation, appointments and other matters which fall within the title or titles of the Code of Laws as are herein below enumerated for the Education Committee: Titles 51, 59, and 60 (school governance and structure at Ethics all levels).
2015 legislative session
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2015 legislative session.
- ↑ South Carolina State Legislature, "Rules of the Senate of South Carolina," accessed January 24, 2014(Rule 19 (d))
- ↑ South Carolina State Legislature, "Rules of the Senate of South Carolina," accessed January 24, 2014(Rule 19 (e))
- ↑ Information submitted by the Senate Education Committee Mailbox via email to a Ballotpedia staffer on January 27, 2014
- ↑ South Carolina State Legislature, "Rules of the Senate of South Carolina," accessed January 24, 2014(Rule 19 (a))
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.