|Connecticut State Senate District 23|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||February 24, 2015|
|Connecticut State Senate, District 23|
|November 14, 2005-January 5, 2013|
|Bridgeport City Council|
|Years of service||1958-1963|
Gomes was a member of the Bridgeport City Council from 1983 to 1989 and again from 1999 to 2005.
Gomes' professional experience includes working as a Laborer/Annealer for Carpenter Steel from 1963 to 1977 and International Representative of District 1 for the United Steelworkers of America. Heserved in the United States Army from 1958 to 1963.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gomes served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Collective Bargaining, Co-Chair
- Subcommittee on General Government A, Co-Chair
- Subcommittee on Higher Education
- Subcommittee on Judicial and Corrections
- Subcommittee on Regulation and Protection
- Housing Committee, Connecticut General Assembly, Co-Chair
- Judiciary Committee, Connecticut General Assembly
- Labor and Public Employees Committee, Connecticut General Assembly, Vice Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Gomes served on these committees:
- Appropriations Committee, Connecticut General Assembly
- General Law Committee, Connecticut Senate
- Housing Committee, Connecticut Senate
- Judiciary Committee, Connecticut Senate
- Labor and Public Employees Committee, Connecticut Senate
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2012
Gomes ran in the 2012 election for Connecticut State Senate District 23. Gomes was defeated by Andres Ayala, Jr. in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012. Gomes continued to run for the seat on the Working Families Party ticket but his name no longer appears on the list of candidates.
|Connecticut State Senate, District 23 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Andres Ayala, Jr.||42.5%||2,129|
|Ernest E. Newton II||34.7%||1,739|
|Edwin Gomes Incumbent||22.7%||1,138|
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2010
Gomes ran for re-election to the 23rd District seat in 2010. He had no primary opposition. He defeated Milton Johnson (R) in the November 2 general election.
|Connecticut State Senate, District 23 General Election (2010)|
|Edwin Gomes (D)||10,797|
|Milton Johnson (R)||275|
- See also: Connecticut State Senate elections, 2008
|Connecticut State Senate, District 23 (2008)|
|Edwin Gomes (D)||20,108|
|Milton Johnson (R)||2,308|
In 2010, Gomes raised $19,435 in contributions.
His two largest contributors were:
|Carpenters Local 24 PAC||$1,500|
|Ne Regional Council/Carpenters Ct, OPC||$1,000|
In 2008, Gomes collected $100,684 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
Yankee Institute's Voter Guide
- See also: Yankee Institute's Voter Guide
The Yankee Institute, a pro-market think tank, releases its Voter Guide after each two-year legislative term. Each member of the Connecticut General Assembly receives a score from 0 to 10 based on how he or she voted in ten key votes. The Institute selects key votes which "reveal the differences between those legislators that would harness the power of individual liberty and the market to improve lives, and those that prefer a centrally-planned approach." A legislator with a 10 voted in agreement with the Yankee Institute on all 10 votes, while a legislator with a 0 voted against the Yankee Institute's views or was absent for all 10 votes.
Gomes received a score of 0 on the Yankee Institute's Voter Guide for 2011-12, tied with 15 others for the lowest score among the 36 scored members of the Connecticut Senate. This score was 2 lower than his score of 2 for the 2009-10 term.
Gomes is married and has six children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Edwin + Gomes + Connecticut + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Connecticut State Legislature
- Connecticut State Senate
- Connecticut Senate Committees
- Connecticut state legislative districts
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008 2006
- CT Post, "Former state Sen. Gomes reclaims Senate seat," February 24, 2015
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed February 10, 2015
- Stamford Advocate, "Malloy picks Bridgeport state senator to run DMV," December 22, 2014
- Stamford Plus, "Special elections for three state assembly seats to be held February 24," January 12, 2015
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Candidate List," accessed June 18, 2012
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results for 2012," August 14, 2012
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2008 General Election Results," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed December 11, 2014
- Yankee Institute for Public Policy, "Yankee Institute Voter Guide for 2011-12," October 19, 2012
|Connecticut State Senate - District 23
| Succeeded by|
Andres Ayala, Jr. (D)