|California State Auditor|
|2000 - Present|
|Years in position||13|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Grey Davis|
|Bachelor's||University of Massachusetts|
|Master's||California State University at Sacramento|
|Other||Certified Public Accountant|
Howle is a certified public accountant and a certified government financial manager. She also serves on a variety of committees for the National State Auditors Association. Howle holds a bachelor's degree in sports management from the University of Massachusetts and an MBA from California State University at Sacramento.
- Bachelor's degree, Sports Management-University of Massachusetts
- M.B.A., California State University at Sacramento
California State Auditor (2000-present)
Howle was first appointed as California State Auditor in 2000. Howle has since been re-appointed since. Prior to her appointment, Howle had worked in the state auditor's office for almost 30 years; she began in 1983 as an entry-level auditor focusing on performance audits. She became a supervisor in 1987 and a principal auditor in 1994, before rising to the rank of deputy state auditor in 1999.
Howle was originally appointed state auditor in 2000 by then-Governor Grey Davis. Since then, she has been re-appointed twice, each time by a different sitting governor.
On October 19, 2012, Governing Magazine named Howle one 8 "Public Officials of the Year." Each year since 1994, Governing has selected a handful of state and local officials to honor for standout job performance. The Public Officials of the Year program "recognizes leaders from state, city and county government who exemplify the ideals of public service." Other 2012 honorees included co-speakers of the Oregon House of Representatives Bruce Hanna and Arnie Roblan and Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval. Governing favorably mentioned Howle's work as auditor as well as her leading role in California's redistricting commission.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Elaine + Howle + California + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Foon Rhee: Are California veterans homes the best use of money for vets? - Sacramento Bee
- Government accountability can be hard - San Francisco Examiner
- Capitol Alert: AM Alert: Jerry Brown's revised California budget plan arrives - Fresno Bee
- Troublesome numbers - New Times SLO
- California economic comeback? (Real or hype) - Oregon Business News (press release)
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
|California State Auditor
| Succeeded by|