|U.S. Senate, California|
|Bachelor's||University of California Los Angeles, 1984|
|Birthday||April 4, 1963|
|Place of birth||Bellflower,CA|
Emken is considering a run for U.S. House representing California's 7th congressional district in the 2014 elections. The District 7 seat is currently held by Democratic Rep. Ami Bera, who was first elected to Congress in November of 2012.
Emken ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. Senate, representing California. She and incumbent Dianne Feinstein (D) advanced past the June 5, 2012, blanket primary, defeating David Alex Levitt (D), Nak Shah (D), Diane Stewart (D), Mike Strimling (D), John Boruff (R), Oscar Alejandro Braun (R), Greg Conlon (R), Colleen Shea Fernald (D), Rogelio Gloria (R), Dan Hughes (R), Dennis Jackson (R), Dirk Konopik (R), Donald Krampe (R), Robert Lauten (R), Al Ramirez (R), Nachum Shifren (R), Orly Taitz (R), Rick Williams (R), Gail Lightfoot (L), Kabiruddin Karim Ali (Peace and Freedom), Marsha Feinland (Peace and Freedom), and Don Grundmann (Independent). They faced off in the November 6, 2012, general election. Feinstein won.
|U.S. Senate, California, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Dianne Feinstein Incumbent||62.5%||7,864,624|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Emken's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Government Spending and Budget
- Excerpt: "I am committed to reducing the size and cost of government, reducing the publicly held debt and lowering taxes."
- Economic Growth
- Excerpt: "Small and large American businesses will lead us out of the economic downturn, not more government spending. We must provide our business community the tools needed to grow the economy."
- Accountability in Washington
- Excerpt: "Our elected representatives should have the courage and discipline to properly manage the Nation’s finances without the force of law. Sadly, they don’t. Because of the severity of the crisis, I support a balanced budget amendment movement. The momentum behind this movement will serve to let Congress know the people are serious about debt reduction."
- 2nd Amendment
- Excerpt: "I support the 2nd Amendment and oppose any attempts to weaken it."
- Definition of Marriage / Family Issues
- Excerpt: "I agree with the majority of Californians on this issue: I support traditional marriage."
|U.S. Senate, California, 2012 - Elizabeth Emken Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$9,797,542|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$12,152,230|
|Top contributors to Elizabeth Emken's campaign committee|
|Jelly Belly Candy||$5,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$26,100|
Emken and her husband, Craig Swartz, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Elizabeth + Emken + California + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maldonado Might Bring 'Good' Loss for GOP - Fox and Hounds Daily
- Don Polson The way I see it: Geoengineering, great dinner, lousy Senator - Red Bluff Daily News
- Brown looks at a 2014 cakewalk - Fairfield Daily Republic
- Don Polson The way I see it: Lincoln dinner; Obama's bloody nose, fit - Red Bluff Daily News
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 CNN "California Senate Race - 2012 Election Center"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Sacramento Bee, "Elizabeth Emken eyes challenging Ami Bera in Sacramento seat," February 23, 2013
- ↑ Certified list of candidates
- ↑ Unofficial election results
- ↑ Campaign website, Issues
- ↑ Open Secrets "Elizabeth Emken 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 19, 2013
- ↑ Project Vote Smart biography