|General election||November 4, 2014|
|U.S. House, Illinois, District 13|
|High school||Urbana High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois (2001)|
|J.D.||Harvard Law School (2007)|
- Urbana High School
- University of Illinois (2001)
- Harvard Law School (2007)
Harold was crowned Miss Illinois 2002 and Miss America 2003.
Upon graduating from law school, Harold worked as an attorney in the litigation groups of Sidley Austin LLP and Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C., where she represented businesses in commercial disputes and advised religious institutions in matters involving First Amendment protections.
Jim Allen, chairman of the Montgomery County GOP, sent his resignation letter to new Illinois Republican Chairman Jack Dorgan on June 20, 2013 after making comments in an email to a supporter of Harold likening the former Miss America winner to a "street walker" whose "pimps" were Democrats and moderate Republicans. Harold is challenging sitting Republican congressman Rodney Davis in the 13th District Republican primary election in 2014.
In the e-mail, which was later posted online, Allen referred to Harold as a “little queen” and the “love child” of the Democratic National Committee. Allen also wrote that after losing the 2014 primary Harold would end up back in Chicago "working for some law firm that needs to meet their quota for minority hires,” referring to Harold's African American ethnicity.
Illinois' 13th Congressional District was a battleground district in 2014 due to the very small margin of victory in the last congressional and presidential election in the district. Incumbent Rodney Davis defeated Michael Firsching and Erika Harold in the Republican primary. In the Democratic primary, Ann Callis triumphed over George Gollin and David Green. Davis and Callis will face off in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 13 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Rodney Davis Incumbent||54.6%||27,816|
|Source: Illinois State Board of Elections|
|Erika Harold (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2013||$0.00||$78,285.22||$(16,023.37)||$62,261.85|
|October Quarterly||October 16, 2013||$62,261.85||$72,619.45||$(35,672.72)||$99,208.58|
|Year-end||January 31, 2014||$99,208||$65,154||$(42,418)||$121,944|
- Politico, "Ex-Miss America to run for Illinois House seat" accessed June 4, 2013
- Associated Press, "Primary Election 2014," accessed March 18, 2014
- Erika Harold for Congress, "About" accessed June 24, 2013
- Chicago Tribune, "Illinois GOP official resigns after calling former Miss America 'street walker'" accessed June 24, 2013
- St. Louis Today, "Illinois GOP official pens allegedly racist attack on black GOP candidate" accessed June 24, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Erika Harold 2014 Summary reports," accessed November 6, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "July Quarterly" accessed July 30, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "October Quarterly," accessed November 6, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Year End Report," accessed February 5, 2014
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |