|Delaware State Senate District 6|
|January 8, 2013-Present|
|January 7, 2019|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$7,334 annual expense allowance|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Lopez served on the following committees:
|Delaware Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Children, Youth & Families|
|• Health & Social Services|
|• Natural Resources & Environmental Control|
Lopez's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
Jobs and Our Local Coastal Economy
- Excerpt: "Working to increase jobs and improve our local coastal economy is the number one priority of my legislative work. Promoting tourism and entrepreneurship, along with pulling together a district that has one of the widest economic disparity levels in the state, is a responsibility I take seriously. I take a great deal of pride in being pragmatic and conscientious, working to build consensus towards improvements and solutions to challenges facing our businesses community which is the backbone of the 6th District."
Public Safety in our Neighborhoods
- Excerpt: "We can’t grow a community where people don’t feel safe, where home invasions are on the rise and children are being taken advantage of by people in positions of trust. 6th District residents know how high I place the needs of our most vulnerable populations in every major decision I face in Legislative Hall. By sponsoring bills and serving on legislative tasks forces charged with creating real policy changes to how we improve public safety, I will continue to fight to ensure that the 6th District is a safe and peaceful place to live."
Transportation in the Cape Region
- Excerpt: "Improving transportation in our growing district is a key area that I tackle head on in my role as the only Senator from either party representing Sussex County on the Senate Highways and Transportation committee. Main Street USA in the 6th District is called Delaware Route 1 and every day I work with district residents, law enforcement and traffic safety officials to find better means of improving the safety of the public whether they travel by car, bus, bike or on foot. I was proud to be a member of the bipartisan Route 1 Pedestrian Safety Task Force whose 2014 recommendations were put into place to make improvements in public safety on our busiest thoroughfare."
Education Here at Home
- Excerpt: "I feel as though I am uniquely qualified to take the lead on education issues in our state as member of the Senate Education Committee, a 15 year employee of the University of Delaware and most importantly as a parent of two children attending public schools in eastern Sussex County. We need continued focus on early childhood education as a foundation for growth in addition to increasing opportunities and services for students with special needs. Finally, we need to continue to work hand and hand with our tremendous local teachers and administrators in creating atmospheres of learning and growth in our schools that are fair and equitable for all."
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Delaware State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 8, 2014. Claire R. Snyder-Hall was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Ernesto B. Lopez was unopposed in the Republican primary. Lopez defeated Snyder-Hall in the general election.
|Delaware State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Ernesto B. Lopez Incumbent||63.4%||11,633|
|Democratic||Claire R. Snyder-Hall||36.6%||6,718|
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2012
Lopez ran in the 2012 election for Delaware State Senate District 6. Lopez defeated Glen Urquhart in the Republican primary on September 11, 2012 and defeated Andrew W. Statonand Gwendolyn M. Jones in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Delaware State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|Delaware State Senate, District 6 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Lopez is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Lopez raised a total of $125,845 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 18, 2013.
|Ernesto's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Delaware State Senate, District 6||$125,845|
|Grand Total Raised||$125,845|
2012Lopez won election to the Delaware State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Lopez raised a total of $125,845.
|Delaware State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ernesto's campaign in 2012|
|Delaware Republican Party||$2,000|
|Carpenter III, R R M||$1,200|
|Anderson, Margot & Daniel||$1,200|
|Copeland Jr, Lammot||$1,200|
|Total Raised in 2012||$125,845|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on "social and economic justice issues."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Ernesto + Lopez + Delaware + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Delaware State Senate
- Delaware Senate Committees
- Delaware State Senate District 6
- Delaware State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Delaware State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Ernesto Lopez on Twitter
- Ernesto Lopez on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Lopez for DE, "Ernie's Views," accessed October 21, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election results," accessed November 13, 2014
- Delaware Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed July 13, 2012
- Delaware Department of Elections, "Official Primary Results," accessed March 20, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Lopez, Ernesto," accessed September 18, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 21, 2014
Liane Sorenson (R)
|Delaware State Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|