For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Florida's 9th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
August 14, 2012
Gus M. Bilirakis
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Florida is one of 21 states to use a strictly closed primary system.
- See also: Florida elections, 2012
This was the first election which used new district maps based on 2010 Census data. Florida's 9th Congressional District is located in east central Florida and portions of Orange and Polk counties and all of Osceola County.
General election candidates
August 14, 2012, primary results
|U.S. House, Florida District 9 General Election, 2012|
|Source: Florida Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Blue vs. Red
Possible race ratings are:
Florida's 9th District is a leaning Democratic district.
In June 2012, Sabato's Crystal Ball rated Florida's 9th as leaning Democratic.
Florida's 9th was also considered to be Leaning Democratic according to the New York Times race ratings.
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in Florida
Prior to redistricting the 9th District encompassed most of rural eastern Hillsborough County, northern parts of Pinellas County (including Clearwater) and the Gulf coast of Pasco County (including New Port Richey).
- 38 percent from the 8th Congressional District
- 11 percent from the 12th Congressional District
- 35 percent from the 15th Congressional District
- 16 percent from the 24th Congressional District
FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012 study
- See also: FairVote's Monopoly Politics 2012
In 2012, FairVote did a study on partisanship in the congressional districts, giving each a percentage ranking (D/R) based on the new 2012 maps and comparing that to the old 2010 maps. Partisanship figures from 2010 relating to the incumbent are unavailable for this district due to the seat being open.
- 2012: 57D / 43R
- 2010: Unavailable
Cook Political Report's PVI
In 2012, Cook Political Report released its updated figures on the Partisan Voter Index, which measures each congressional district's partisanship relative to the rest of the country. Florida's 9th Congressional District has a PVI of D+4, which is the 156th most Democratic district in the country. In 2008, this district was won by Barack Obama (D), 61-39 percent over John McCain (R). In 2004, George W. Bush (R) won the district 51-49 percent over John Kerry (D).
|Candidate ballot access|
|Find detailed information on ballot access requirements in all 50 states and Washington D.C.|
|U.S. House, Florida District 9 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Gus M. Bilirakis Incumbent||71.4%||165,433|
|Democratic||Anita de Palma||28.6%||66,158|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Florida, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Florida, 2012
- Gus M. Bilirakis' Campaign Website (timed out)
- Updated Florida Congressional Districts List
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map
- ABC News, "2012 General Election Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Florida Department of State, "Register to Vote," accessed April 25, 2012
- Tampa Bay Times, "Redrawn congressional boundaries create roadblock for Fasano" accessed February 14, 2012
- Florida 2012 Redistricting Map, "Map" accessed July 5, 2012
- Florida Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" accessed March 23, 2012
- AP Results "U.S. House Results" accessed August 14, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "OXNER, MARK ANTHONY" accessed December 3, 2011
- Center for Politics, "2012 House Ratings," Updated June 27, 2012
- New York Times, "House Race Ratings," accessed August 7, 2012
- The Washington Post, "Breaking down the Florida GOP’s redistricting map" accessed February 29, 2012
- Moonshadow Mobile's CensusViewer, "Florida's congressional districts 2001-2011 comparison"
- Labels & Lists, "VoterMapping software voter counts"
- "2011 Redistricting and 2012 Elections in Arizona," September 2012
- Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index Districts of the 113th Congress: 2004 & 2008" accessed October 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010," accessed March 28, 2013